Rocks from the beach in a freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dangora

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys so I'm on vacation in Maine and I found some rocks at the beach I would like to use when I re-do my tank next week. I was looking at a thread from 2006 on this subject but I want some new opinions and instruction on what to do.

Is it safe to put these rocks from a salt water beach in my freshwater aquarium? What steps can I do to make it safe? Is there anything else I should know?

Sorry if the pics are crappy, I'm doing this all from my Droid.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110803_082443.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_082443.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 251
  • ForumRunner_20110803_082501.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_082501.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 201
  • ForumRunner_20110803_082514.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_082514.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 186
Those are some nice looking rocks! If you rinse them off and disinfect them I'm pretty sure that they'd be fine. Some people say: do boil, others: don't boil. Ive boiled rocks and I've never had an issue so that is another way to clean the rocks. As for salt to fresh, it won't do anything to it if you properly clean them:)

make sure they dont buff up your ph, drop some vinegar on to the rock and if it bubbles this means it will put your ph up, the large triangular rock looks like it could be limestone, this will also put up your ph.
I would be checking ph and hardness every few days for a week or so after adding any rocks just incase. I once had a ph problem and couldnt work out what was going on and it was all because some Granite contained as small amount of limestone.

Well I don't have the tank set up yet. I screwed up the first time, found an lfs, gave them my fish, and am gonna re-do the tank when I get home from vacation. I took out all the water and ornaments and gravel and I'm gonna do a live plant tank.

So do I put the rocks in while cycling, before, after?

I have beach rocks in my freshwater tanks with no problem. Test with vinegar, if it fizzes, don't use it. If you choose to boil it, let the rocks and water cool in the pot. Quick temperature changes can cause the rocks to explode, although I've never had that problem. Most people will tell you to vinegar test and give em a good scrub and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Sweet thanks guys. Can you outline the process for boiling them though? Do I put them in a pot and put the heat on so the temp slowly rises or do I put it in like pasta after the water is boiling? Just take my through step by step please so I don't mess up :)

Put them in the water and then boil. Slow temp changes are key. It will take them a while to cool in the pot, they hold a lot of heat. Make sure they're nice and cool before you put them in the tank!

We have a few rocks from Maine in our tanks as well! Nice additions.

skiweeangel said:
We have a few rocks from Maine in our tanks as well! Nice additions.

What part of Maine? I can't wait to see how they look with the plants I'm going to get.

Back
Top Bottom