Rocks in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got back from vacation and had brought back some rocks to put in my fish tank but I do not know the best way to clean them, the rocks came from the Pacific Ocean so the rocks were in saltwater. Would boiling the rocks be the best option or should I do something more to insure the safety of my fish?

Unless you have a need to add salt to the tank I would not recommend using any rock that was in saltwater for a freshwater tank.
But to answer the question on preparing a rock for tank use, there is a article on the front page of the forum that touches on the subject.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/introduction-adding-decor-aquarium/

And please, please, please don't ever boil rocks, it is very unsafe.

Well, one thing I have heard is that you have to put vinegar on them (white distilled is best) and if they fizzle you can't put them in your tank. I would boil them and wash them well, and make sure there is no coral or seashell pieces on them.

Just because the vinegar bubbles doesn't mean that you can't put it into the tank. Some rocks can contain CaCO3 which can cause the Ph in the water to rise, CaCO3 is an alkali compound which acts as a neutralizer to the acid (vinegar), when an acid is poured on the rock the calcium carbonate neutralizes the acid therefore making it bubble.
All the vinegar is doing is showing you that there are traces of calcium in the rock.
Again I urge you not to boil rocks, it is very unsafe. As you boil rocks air that may be trapped within will start to expand. This expansion can cause the rock to explode with great force causing major damage or harm.

Back
Top Bottom