Rodi water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigfuzzymonster777

Aquarium Advice Freak
I read thaT RODI water needs the minerals replaced? Is this true, or can I get some from the LFS and use it as is?

For freshwater use you need to replace the lost minerals. Seachem Replenish is one option.

What type of mineral are you talking about? I know they have some minerals that already comes in salt that ate good for a fishes respiration and etc

What type of mineral are you talking about. I think you are talking about trace elements and you can get buy those form lfs in a bottle of some salts you use for reef tanks have the the trace elements in the already.

Yes, its the trace elements that are lost. Commercial salt mix contains the replacements for saltwater use, but you need to use a liquid mix for freshwater.

I'm just gonna use tap with the conditioner that came with my kit :p

That works too - one thing that some people do is they just use part tap, part RO water - no need to remineralize then - the minerals in the tap water are mixed with the RO water. That can depend on your tap water, however, if it has a low TDS you may not be able to do that. My tap water has a sky-high 780 TDS, so a little tap water can remineralize quite a bit of RO/DI.

RODI is dependent on what you're doing. I know for me I'm switching over to RODI because my love of planted tanks led me to my love of shrimp. While neos are alright, I want to get into the more sensitive shrimp.

You'll want to use a product to remineralize the water depending on your needs.

I use the SaltyShrimp line. However many of the others that people here have talked about are great products as well.

The great thing about RODI water is you can personally almost 100% control your parameters, which is great for making sure you know exactly what's going on in your little ecosystem :)

I agree that additives are much more precise. My tap method works well for me, however the product water slightly varies from time to time. Some cheap additives are GLA's GH booster (for raising GH obviously) in conjunction with baking soda (to raise KH). The GH booster is only $5/pound I believe, and baking soda is also fairly inexpensive.

I agree that additives are much more precise. My tap method works well for me, however the product water slightly varies from time to time. Some cheap additives are GLA's GH booster (for raising GH obviously) in conjunction with baking soda (to raise KH). The GH booster is only $5/pound I believe, and baking soda is also fairly inexpensive.

True True! It's all in finding the balance that works for you. My tap water here in Pasco County FL however is such a mess you never know what you're getting out of the pipe...one day you'll have KH/GH at 8 degrees, the next it'll be 14. Same with the TDS, I've seen as low as 240 and as high as 380. Couple that with the water quality report and well TBH I don't even like showering in the water here LOL

Typically our water here is so hard if you use tap water in your tanks for a month, you'll be able to chip minerals off your filters and lights :eek:

I guess I'll test the tap and see whether I want that or RODI water... If I got ten gallons of distilled water, would I have to replace stuff?

Distilled water is typically seen as being at 0 TDS so you would have to replace the minerals yes

Unless you have horrible tap water that contains ammonia, nitrates, or phosphates in any high amounts most fish acclimate just fine. If your planning on getting into more delicate, fish, shrimp, or plants there is no need to mess with RO or distilled water. A constant ph/gh/kh is much more important that messing with your water unless you really understand what your doing and causing fluctuating readings which is bad for your fish.

So you're saying here that if you've got High GH and KH that everything will be just fine in it ?? That they'll just get used to it eventually !? :nono: Sorry Charlie that's a negative!

In all actuality having high KH and GH can lead to molting problems and ultimately deaths with shrimp and invertebrates in the tank.

You are right however that stable PH in conjunction with KH and GH remaining stable are ultimately better for the longevity of those inhabitants.

Also with many of the mixes that you buy you can get the PROPER levels for many fish and other creatures following directions and using your handy TDS meter.

I just read my post and the second sentence should have read "unless" not "if"

My point is he doesn't need to even mess with RO water if he has normal tank with no speciality fish or inverts unless his tap water has ammonia, phosphates, or nitrates in it. Most all fish acclimate to tap water parameters. Plus the OP hasn't even said why he is considering using RO. Say he just wants to lower ph/gh/kh in a normal fish tank all he would need it is to cut tap water with RO, no reconstituting needed. I've used this method in many tanks over the years. When using straight RO then reconstituting is absolutely needed. So it all boils down to how the RO is being used as to whether or not reconstituting minerals back into it is needed.

I just read my post and the second sentence should have read "unless" not "if"

My point is he doesn't need to even mess with RO water if he has normal tank with no speciality fish or inverts unless his tap water has ammonia, phosphates, or nitrates in it. Most all fish acclimate to tap water parameters. Plus the OP hasn't even said why he is considering using RO. Say he just wants to lower ph/gh/kh in a normal fish tank all he would need it is to cut tap water with RO, no reconstituting needed. I've used this method in many tanks over the years. When using straight RO then reconstituting is absolutely needed. So it all boils down to how the RO is being used as to whether or not reconstituting minerals back into it is needed.

This I can agree with :lol: I thought that's what you meant. I can 100% vouch for using RODI with any shrimp (using Salty Shrimp) my shrimp all went from being almost lethargic to speeding around the tank and being happily active and molting :dance:

Back
Top Bottom