Rubberlip pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homedog98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I've been looking around my LFS for a bristlenose pleco, but to no avail. All I could find were the rubberlip plecos, and was thinking about getting one of them instead. What's the difference between the two? I know they're about the same size as the bristlenose, but their behavior seems different.

Really, theres not much of a difference. The only difference that I have found is that the BN pleco is a better algae eater..

Well... Which one would you suggest? Not much algae in the tank, so it'd get lots of zucchini and bloodworms. And do the rubberlips still need driftwood to help with digestion?

I recommend getting the Bristlenose, but If it is not available, get the Rubberlip instead. I believe all plecos need driftwood need to help with their digestive track, so It would be a good idea to have some ready.

Ok. One petstore had the albino BN, but they seemed to be out of stock, and they were like, 20$! Which I thought was a bit much...

A lot of plecos like driftwood however, I don't think Rubberlips require it. They do best in a tank with good aeration and they like large, flat or rounded stones to rest on. They prefer temps on the cooler side (<80 degrees) and do not eat plants. They do eat algae as well as algae based wafers/prepared foods and fresh vegetables.

I kept a rubberlip for a while, until it was killed by a swarm of 1" long fish (multis)!!!! They're a pretty cool fish, but don't expect to see it much. Mine stayed stuck to the bottom of a piece of driftwood all the time. Only time I ever saw it was at night, then it would scurry back when it saw me.

We have a young one and we actually see him quite often. S/he has two fav places to be and he's usually in one spot or the other during the daytime (in the top front corner of the tank on the glass or sitting on a large smooth rock in the other corner of his tank). At night time he swims all over. His behavior may change as he gets older though!

Back
Top Bottom