Seeded cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatieKontak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 37 gallon I'm about to set up and I've heard you can use a seeded method to help it get the cycle faster and better for the fish. Could someone either post a link to an article for me or better explain to me what it is? I've always just cycled naturally without adding ammonia and this will be the first time I can use the seeded method since I have another tank already set up.

use the filter media from your setup tank and put in the new tank. one of my filters had the bio-filter thing on it and I used that for one of my tanks. I've even used my fake plants from one tank and moved them over.

How long should I let it cycle before I add my fish in it? I want to add them sooner because I need to get my bala shark out of the 5.5 gallon into my 37.

That depends. For my environment I moved them within 24 hours without issue, but that may not be recommended for everyone. Test your parameters to see how fast the cycle completes.

FWIW, I had to do an "emergency" move of bala sharks, silver dollars and leporinus from a 55 to a 75 in two hours. used seeded media, about 20 gallons of the old water the rest fresh ro/ water. everyone is still alive :)

Hmm. Well I could use all the tank water but I'd like to let it cycle for a while. I could probably wait a few days or a week. I was thinking a week and just watch my parameters closely.

Are you tearing down your other tank and moving everything to the 37? What kind of filter and filter media are you running on the established tank?

If you don't have water test kit, get one ASAP! You don't know what the levels are without one.

My levels in my current tank are fine but I ran out of drops on one bottles so I'll go get another kit tomorrow. And I'm building up my 37 in about a month (have to wait to move) and heard of this method of cycling. I have a top fin hob filter with carbon and a sponge. The basic hob. What would my 'seed' be?

Your sponge should have the most beneficial bacteria(BB). The bb grows on hard surfaces in your filter, it also grows on decor and in the substrate.

How you go about seeding depends on if you are going to be running both tanks simultaneously after you move or just the 37.

If your tearing down the old tank and moving everything over to the 37 that's all you really need to do. Just put the filter on the new tank and all the decor and substrate in, you might get a mini cycle for 2-3 days but a dose of prime for those days should keep the fish healthy.

If you plan on running the old and the 37 at the same time after you move that's a different story. In that case you would cut off a couple small pieces of your sponge and place them in the new filter for the 37. You will then have to add an ammonia source because it will take about 2-3weeks for the bb colony to grow enough to have the tank cycled

I would also recommend looking into a filter that has the capacity to hold bio media such as seachem matrix or bio balls etc. IMO bio media is the most important media in a filter

I have a bio wheel in my tank that holds the bacteria. If I'm keeping all the substrate and decor in the 5.5 can I move the sponge to the 37 without causing problems? Because I am keeping both tanks up and moving my bn pleco and bala to the 37 and my betta to the 5.5.

Ok this is what I would do....

Get yourself the filter you want for the 37gal now before you move. Run both filters on the 5.5 until you move. Cut a couple small pieces of the sponge and place them inside the new filter. By the time you move both filters should be seeded with BB.

Again you may have a mini cycle for 2-3days once you move the new filter to the new tank.

I guess you could move the entire sponge but I would watch the water condition very closely

The only problem with that is that the filtration for the 37 is attached to the hood of that tank so I can't run both. What would you suggest then?

Seeding a New Tank

I have a 37 gallon I'm about to set up and I've heard you can use a seeded method to help it get the cycle faster and better for the fish. Could someone either post a link to an article for me or better explain to me what it is? I've always just cycled naturally without adding ammonia and this will be the first time I can use the seeded method since I have another tank already set up.

Hello Kate...

You just locate a tank that's established (cycled) and remove half of the media from that tank and put it into your filter. You have an instantly cycled tank.

Ideally, you want to take the used media from the same size tank as yours or larger.

B

Is it okay to run extra media in my small tank for the next couple weeks to have ready for my bigger tank? Sorry for all the questions I've never used this method before! I appreciate all the help!

Filter Media

Hello again Kate...

You can add some extra media, but unless you have an equal number of fish producing waste for the microscopic bugs that use it for food, the bugs won't reproduce.

The fish waste starts the "nitrogen cycle". The little bugs reproduce as long as there is enough waste to sustain their growth. You can add all the media you want, but if you don't have but a few fish in the tank, then there won't be enough waste to grow the bugs.

I hope I described the process clearly.

B

Back
Top Bottom