Serpae and minor tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jabfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone I have some tetras that I bought as red minor tetras I thought that they and serpae tetras were the same fish but now that I've done some digging I think they are separate species I think 5 are minor tetras and 1 is a serpae because 5 have a black dot and one has a black stripe so could someone clarify for me

I have recently bought 5 Serpae Tetras and 3 have distinctive black spots and the other 2 are brighter red with hardly a black spot at all. They look really different. Maybe I have slightly different sub-species or is that a male/female thing?
As an aside, in the QT they were aggressive and looked to be nipping each other, but no damage was done. I had doubts about adding them to my 50 strong mixed tetra tank but they've been in there 3 days now and are as meek as anything, mixing with all the other fish. However, the tank is heavily planted and all the fish can be sociable or not as they wish. I do wonder if Serpaes get their bad reputation because they don't feel calm in open waters with no cover. Sorry - went a bit off track!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Quick update. My Serpae's have become less shy and very sociable. They feed with the other fish and not nipped once. They seem so calm but they are probably the fastest swimmers in the tank, they can really shift!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's good I'm glad mine like to nip occasionally but the mostly attack each other ?

Back
Top Bottom