Setting Up a 5 Gal. Betta Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I have a betta fish named Evan! I got him in March and had him in a 5 gallon tank. In May something went wrong with his water and he got very sick. I moved him into a 1 gallon quarantine tank at the end of May and he has been there ever since. He has recovered very well and his damaged fins are growing back!

I want to move him back to his 5 gallon tank and am looking for suggestions on how to set it up - cycled vs. uncycled, how often and at what percentage to do water changes, etc. I am wondering, can I just do 100% water changes every 2 or so weeks? Trying partial water changes last time is what I believe I messed up and caused his water trouble and illness. I'm scared to move him back because I don't want him to get sick again - but I want him to be happy and have lots of room to swim around. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Use the search bar and look at fishless cycles or fish in cycles. There's tons of info on both sides, as for how often you're doing water changes I would suggest like a 30% every week. Doing partial water changes is going to be much "safer" for your betta because as water starts to aerate it will generally start to bleed off PH and become slightly more acidic and changing all of his water at once will drastically change the ph level. As to why he got sick in he first place I would bet that the tank was never cycled and he suffered from finrot which is caused by poor water quality.

Thanks - I'll look there! Yes, his water originally was fine but then a plant started decaying and I found out I was changing the water too frequently and he got fin rot and pop eye.

He is about to be moved to a new house - is it ok to put him in the big tank now, or should I wait until he moves in a few weeks to do that?

Back
Top Bottom