Setting Up My Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Priest

Aquarium Advice Regular
So after much decision I decided to switch from my tropical fishes (Gouramis, mollies) to Cichlids but before I do that I figured, let me ask some questions on here first. Since I know how much Cichlids want their privacy, I will need ornaments but don't know if I should get a big ornament with caves or rocks that I can stack. Could you point out to me some rocks that are nice so that I can figure out what to get. Also if I do plan to get rocks, about how many rocks would be good for my 30 gallon tank. I have everything plan for my setup, except for the decor, so some suggestions would also be great. Thank you.

Take a look at Texas Holey Rock. Be careful as some have razor sharp edges.

I prefer the look of ones with huge holes in it. Sometimes though, the holes are "simulated" and look really fake. Make sure to get the genuine stuff. It does have a big affect on your PH though (making it basic, I believe)

heres a random picture Ig rabbed from google:

http://www.holeyrockshop.com/image/40 pound-liter-L.jpg

See I was looking at something like this:

Top Fin® Craggy Sea Rock Aquarium Ornament - Decorations - Fish - PetSmart

But began thinking that maybe I can get something better for the price they are selling it.

EDIT: I also have been looking at black gravel but don't know if it's sand or gravel because I certainly do not want sand, I know someone who have sand and he explains to me the trouble of having sand.

I have Texas Holey Rock. It is limestone so it could raise your ph to about 8. It is nice because it buffers the water for cichlids. It is very pretty too.

Wouldn't having something like can make it that after some time they no longer will fit through the holes?

That can be a concern, but usually isn't much of a problem: fish are good at squeezing through areas with little trouble. The biggest concern will be sharp edges in the holey rock, which honestly will be more for african cichlids and other hard water lovers. Most south american cichlids like plants with a few caves here and there. Alternatively, you can use sandstone or slate and stack them to make the cave systems africans are accustomed to. Attached a picture of my mbuna set up, will be adding more rocks soon, working on cleaning them.

Good luck!

ForumRunner_20120425_213046.jpg

Yeah that looks real nice. I don't know if I should go with round rocks that I can stack or slate rocks that I can stack, does any of the two matter besides the look. Also what is the process of cleaning the tank when you got rocks stacked, would I have to remove the rocks to clean the tank, then stack them again.

Priest said:
Yeah that looks real nice. I don't know if I should go with round rocks that I can stack or slate rocks that I can stack, does any of the two matter besides the look. Also what is the process of cleaning the tank when you got rocks stacked, would I have to remove the rocks to clean the tank, then stack them again.

I can tell you it's a HUGE pain when having rocks stacked and so on and so on. What I do is the front one time and then the next I'll move a little area at a time and do it that way. For me it's easier and have you ever tried to get your tank looking the same after moving it all around? lol never happens. Here's a few shots of my 75g African tank.

Almost forgot. I also use a power head, a Koralia 750 to help move debris around to the intakes and to help with any dead spots that might be in the tank. It seems to be doing a great job do far I keeping the tank nice and clean.

View attachment 91181

View attachment 91182

View attachment 91183

Last edited:
What is that like a three hour job to clean that?

EDIT: What kind of gravel are you using? I've been thinking of combining some river rock gravel with white gravel but yours look clean and simple (I like that in gravel).

Priest said:
What is that like a three hour job to clean that?

EDIT: What kind of gravel are you using? I've been thinking of combining some river rock gravel with white gravel but yours look clean and simple (I like that in gravel).

Far from 3 hours. It's a mix of natural gravel and Cichlid sand.

I found a picture of the round rocks I was talking about. Is there a chance that these rocks can slip off another rock and fall?

Attachments

• 566629917_o.jpg
    566629917_o.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 87
Yes, this is always a concern with natural rocks being stacked...most of the time it will be your water changes that cause a disturbance, not necessarily the fish, unless they're super sized. You can use silicon sealant to connect different rocks to minimize the risk of falling.

Also, for a more lightweight alternative...you can use the styrefoam in a can and aquarium safe paint to create elaborate caves and hiding places. I'll be doing this in a few weeks

Alright thanks alot for the help. I'll put up a picture of the tank when everything is setup, hopefully it will be AA approved.

So I finally set up the tank and decided to show all of you how it came out.
1.jpg

I'm looking for some advice on some things that I can do to make the tank look better, like plants (Fake ones). I still have more slate and I don't think I'm done with making the caves. Most of the Cichlids are hidden but they are there (Even the catfish doesn't come out during the pic taking).

What kind would you suggest because I saw some burgundy plants and it didn't look half bad but there might be some better looking ones. I'm trying to achieve a kind of natural looking tank, so no pink plants. Also I think they might have to be suction plants because my featherfin is about 4.5 inches and she might move it.

Here is my recently finished tank!

Attachments

• image-2635995875.jpg
    image-2635995875.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 76
  • image-516213851.jpg
    image-516213851.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 68
  • image-3559481278.jpg
    image-3559481278.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 68
I'm not much of a plant person yet. I just recently got into plants. I prefer live ones but some fake ones look realistic.

Priest said:
So I finally set up the tank and decided to show all of you how it came out.

I'm looking for some advice on some things that I can do to make the tank look better, like plants (Fake ones). I still have more slate and I don't think I'm done with making the caves. Most of the Cichlids are hidden but they are there (Even the catfish doesn't come out during the pic taking).

Something I've tried is adding ivy to the tank...oddly enough I don't think they like the taste of it, only nibbled on it a bit. And stranger, I've found that my labs like hiding among the leaves as much as in the rocks.

For more caves, you can use clay to make more, lightweight caves, which I think i'm going to attempt after I get the money. It does require a kiln to properly harden the clay.

Pvc works great, and with some silicon, can be covered with rocks and substrate to disguise it.

Plastic plants are usually the best bet with mbuna because they dig furiously. Consequently, java fern can be used since it's not very tasteful for them.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom