Should We Get A Male & Female Gourami, or 2 Males?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikedj

Aquarium Advice Regular
We're ready to stock our newly cycled 20 Gal long aquarium. This is our first aquarium. The plan is:

2 dwarf gourami
6 lemon tetra
6 celestial pearl danio (if we can find them)
1 albino long fin bristlenose pleco

We want to go slowly, so we're starting with the gourami. Should we get a male and female or two males?

Thanks for your opinion.

Mike

I think 2 males, but I don't know very much about that. During mating, the male will get VERY aggressive, so with 2 males they (hopefully) won't mate, and therefore won't get aggressive.

We're ready to stock our newly cycled 20 Gal long aquarium. This is our first aquarium. The plan is:

2 dwarf gourami
6 lemon tetra
6 celestial pearl danio (if we can find them)
1 albino long fin bristlenose pleco

We want to go slowly, so we're starting with the gourami. Should we get a male and female or two males?

Thanks for your opinion.

Mike

IMO a 20 gallon is not being enough for two they will most likely fight.

I've read mixed opinions on having two in a this size tank. I appreciate your comments and based on them, we will likely get only one. In the coming weeks we'll be adding other fish - is it OK to add the gourami first?

Thanks,
Mike

I've read mixed opinions on having two in a this size tank. I appreciate your comments and based on them, we will likely get only one. In the coming weeks we'll be adding other fish - is it OK to add the gourami first?

Thanks,
Mike

I'd do tetras, pleco, gourami, and cpds.

I'd add him last, think of him sort of as a betta. You want him to be the new guy on the block, so he has the last pickings or territory.

I'd increase the number of CPDs too, as they're very shy. You could easily do 10.

I took all of your advice and started with tetras. Tuesday is a bad day to find stock around here, but I promised my daughter that was the day, so we had to go. I could only find 3 lemon tetras, and we decided while we were at the store to get bloodfin tetras as well. We started with three of each, but I'm going to try and add three more of each today (if store gets new stock as planned). Then we'll give it some time and think about the rest.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Mike

I love tetras and they were my first fish tank. Neons to be more precise. They started in a small 10 gallon, but now live in my 55 gallon with some black skirts.

Back
Top Bottom