Small office tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMurrays

Aquarium Advice Freak
I look at AA all day at work (ssshhh don't tell) and yesterday I suddenly had a great thought. Why not get a tank for my desk? It would be calming, and I could take a break and feed them when I was busy. I have a decent amount of space too. I'm thinking either a 2.5 or 5 gal. I want a glass one, not those plastic things. Anyway, here are my ideas for stocking. I have never had a little tank, so suggestions would be helpful!

I love:
Shrimp (not sure what kind... I like them all)
ADFs
Tetras (not sure what kind... suggestions?)
And I'd probably throw a small snail in for algae

Thoughts on how many? I'm not set on all of them, especially if there isn't room. Other fish suggestions are welcome!

Well, if you go with an ADF with nano-fish, there is a chance he might go after them and he may go after the shrimp, especially if you got something like crystal shrimp.

I would suggest you look into some of the nano-fish variety, there are lots of micro-rasbora/danio (they are basically all one group) that would work well in a 5g. I don't know personally of any tetras, but I have heard of people suggesting ember tetras. I'll let someone else chime in on that.

You could do a neat shrimp tank. If you get a good number going, it will be very entertaining. Like crystal shrimp, red cherry shrimp, blueberry shrimp, etc.

No problem! I would encourage you to look at a 5g. That way you can go with a larger number. 2.5 is going to limit you down much more and 5g isn't that much more work.

A 5 gal is what I want. My desk is kind of strange... There is like a lip where the counter is. I'm not sure how to explain it. But I need a short tank. I have plenty of room lengthwise, but I have to fit it under the counter. So if I can't find a short enough 5 gal with light and hood and all, then I may have to go with less gals.

I've heard RCS breed easily... I don't want shrimp babies. Are there other species of shrimp that will breed like crazy? I want to stay away from those. Unless I get ADFs, because they would probably eat the babies.

Interesting link; I think a lot of it is more than fish size though. Ottos are small but need a good size tank, same with Neon Tetras as they are very active fish and need a lot of horizontal swim space.

For a 5 gal you could do: a betta, or a small group of 5-6 nano fish (ember tetra, celestial pearl danio, or chili rasbora) or 2-3 ADFs. 5-6 Least Killfish might be an option too or, or a dwarf puffer.

I like the celestial pearl danios! I've never seen them in any of my LFS... and ordering fish makes me nervous. But we'll see. I'm not into bettas. Honestly I had an ADF once that I loved. I'd like to have some again, but I'd like to have something swimming around too. Not sure a 5 gal is big enough for that. Decisions, decisions...

I like the celestial pearl danios! I've never seen them in any of my LFS... and ordering fish makes me nervous. But we'll see. I'm not into bettas. Honestly I had an ADF once that I loved. I'd like to have some again, but I'd like to have something swimming around too. Not sure a 5 gal is big enough for that. Decisions, decisions...

I have CPDs in a 29 gal. They are great little fish. I got them from a breeder; I could give you his contact info if you're interested in getting them (he's waiting until it gets a bit warmer here to ship). I've gotten all of my fish through the mail and have never had problems.

Yes, most people seem to have good luck with ordering fish. I'd like to have his contact info. I don't even have a tank yet, so it will be a while before I get any fish.

Just measured the space and it's only 10.5 inches tall. I need something that is less than 10.5 inches with the hood and everything. Does anyone know of a brand that makes 5 gal long tanks?

I've seen a couple of bookshelf tanks that might make that height requirement. Sorry I just don't remember the sizes. I'm sure one was 14g, but I remember it seemed awful short to me. Something to look at.

Petco has a book shelf aquarium, but it's plastic. Would like a Fluval Edge fit on you desk?

And I know that size isn't always a determining factor, but that's a good list to start off with. A quick Google search of most fish will tell you if it's suitable or not or just post up a thread with the ones you like and someone can sort it out for you.

The Fluval Edge tanks are awesome, but out of my price range... :)

My husband is getting it for me for Valentine's Day, so now it's up to him.

Unfortunately I can't find a tank that is short enough. The only ones that are short enough are like 2.5 or 3 gal, and I want one with two frogs and a few fish. I think I'm either going to have to get a smaller one which I don't want, or not get one at all. Oh well. Thanks for the help anyway!

Thank you. Actually I am not sure the bookcase tank would work. The tank itself is 9.5 inches but it is taller with the light. I'm worried about buying it and then it not fitting...

Back
Top Bottom