smelly water during cycle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronH

Aquarium Advice Activist
is this a problem or not? i a fishless cycleing ? 33us gallon using old filter and substrate from my old sw setup no there is no dead things in the tank. isit a normall thing ?:confused:

AaronH said:
is this a problem or not? i a fishless cycleing ? 33us gallon using old filter and substrate from my old sw setup no there is no dead things in the tank. isit a normall thing ?:confused:

If your using an old SW setup that could be the smell. I think the cause could be the substrate and filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

i did for only the sponge layer the black and blue ones are the same and the white stones aswell not sure what each one is. my lfs said that they will be fine because it will sort itself out during the cycle

i did take the out and clean them in old water before i put them into the new water

also does chlorine kill nitrite and not amonia coz am getting amonia readings and nitate readings but have not had any nitrite just wondering if i have put enoght tap water conditioner in there

AaronH said:
i did take the out and clean them in old water before i put them into the new water

If it's for FW I would get different cartridges. That could be where your smell is coming from. Also your substrate seeing it was sitting for so long without being used and being from a saltwater tank it would def be a question for the smell. I know when live rock sits and gets wet again it let's out an oder. Honestly I would change both. Either could be the culprit. But you could try the cartridges first and if that doesn't help then the sand would be my guess.

AaronH said:
also does chlorine kill nitrite and not amonia coz am getting amonia readings and nitate readings but have not had any nitrite just wondering if i have put enoght tap water conditioner in there

Chlorine will kill both your bacterias. This is why you use a water conditioner.

Test your tap your tap might have some nitrates in it.

They wherent out of the water i put them ina spare 10 gallon tank i had in fw whilst i was cleaning the sw tank getting it ready for fw all was done in the same day

AaronH said:
They wherent out of the water i put them ina spare 10 gallon tank i had in fw whilst i was cleaning the sw tank getting it ready for fw all was done in the same day

I do know that when cycling with many fish an smell can occur. But I have no experience with switching a SW tank to FW. I'm just giving my best guesses. Maybe wait it out a week and see if it lasts.

yea it seems to have gone down a bit so hopefully it will go :D

Back
Top Bottom