Something weird with my ten gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mustangman11224

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have a baby guppy (1) and a baby bristle nose (less then an inch) in my ten gal tank. Over the past month my tank got very boged down with algae ... Not bad on the windows... A light coating on two sides but that was it.... And heavy algea on my Egyptian broken vase and my catfish log and plants... I woke up yesterday morning and it was ALL gone... The night before it was bad, and te next morning every bit of algae was gone. I didn't do a water change, I didn't add anything to the water, didnt touch the filter. How did this happen... Did that Tiney catfish eat all that in one night? I attached a picture, I wish you could of seen how bad it was before.... I just don't get how it all disappeared.

Attachments

• image-187830924.jpg
    image-187830924.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 90
It's possible as plecos are most active at night. Have you been feeding them less.

Yes. I keep plecos and this happens. My algae will start to grow out of control and randomly the next morning it will be cleared. Plecos can do work on algae. I will put money on it was him.

I wish mine would do that. They have grown too accustomed to fresh veggies and algae wafers to pay any attention to the algae in the tank. Maybe I should try not feeding them for a day or two. :)

Yes. I had a royal that only ate fish pellets. I ended up starving the tank for three days then he was up on the glass and my spay bar cleaning away. Keep careful eye for sunken bellies or aggression that did not exist before but a few days should be fine. He is now doing his job like the rest. I do fresh veggies once a month and don't drop wafers in til about 3 or 4 hours after lights out. Works for me, but won't neccisaeily work for everyone. Wafers are key and necessary for special nutritional values not in your tank algae. Maybe even drop a few wafers while starving them to get the taste for algae again

Yea this little guy was too small for wafers so finally after 2 weeks of being in the tank he ate the algae lol ... I have a common that is temporarily in my 36 gal and he eats veggies, algae wafer, and goes to eating algae on the driftwood or glass all in one day.... He has a never ending appetite lol.

Back
Top Bottom