Stalled fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
librarygirl said:
A bit odd for 7 weeks, you should be further along by now. You say you're using well water and haven't used any dechlorinator: are you sure there aren't any heavy metals in the water? It might be useful to use a dechlorinator anyway just in case. Is there sufficient oxygen getting into the tank from either an air stone or from the filters splashing water into the tank? Seachem Replenish can be used, generally it's not needed as the minerals it adds should be in your water already but it won't hurt anything to use it and if it helps, all the better. The Angels Plus filter should help immensely as well but I'd also add dechlorinator just to rule out any potential issues with your water inhibiting the bacteria and making sure there's sufficient oxygen exchange in the tank. Let's hope we can get things moving!

I had well water when I had a 55 gallon tank and we still use to dechlorinate so I would try it any way. It can't really hurt I don't think.

I didn't disappear--just had a really busy weekend. We got our seeded filter from Angels Plus today...just got it set up and running in the tank now.

We've been testing daily, and everything is exactly the same as before.

Thanks, Librarygal for the tip on using a water conditioner...I am not worried about chlorine in our well, but I guess heavy metals could be an issue although I am doubtful about that as well... If it doesn't go well with this seeded filter we may have to try a water conditioner.

I will keep you posted...

I would try the water conditioner now. If you need it but don't use it you pretty much would have wasted a good seeded filter. If both don't help then we'll have to look at other issues but may as well use the dechlorinator now and it'll either help or we can rule out the water as an issue if thing don't progress.

Made a special trip to "town" to get water conditioner and added it this afternoon. If we have heavy metals, how long would it take for them to kill off the bacteria in the seeded filter?

Since our last water change (almost 2 weeks ago) nitrite and nitrate have gone from low levels to zero. This happened since we added the seeded sponge filter from angels plus....any idea what this means? Ammonia has stayed constant at approx. 2.0

We added SeaChem Replenish (because we have very soft water, for the trace minerals, etc.) a week ago, and the seeded sponge filter 4 days ago. Yesterday I added Kordon NovAqua Plus water conditioner (although we dont have chlorine or chlorimines, there is a chance our well water has heavy metals).

Shouldn't we be seeing some change by the seeded filter by now? Or is it possible the (alleged) heavy metals in our water killed off the bacteria in the 3 days before we added water conditioner.

We've been trying to cycle this tank for 8 weeks now and this is getting VERY discouraging :banghead:

I'm thinking either the BB on the seeded filter was dead on arrival, or they were killed off by something in the tank (perhaps heavy metals in the water before I added the conditioner?)...

Still puzzled where the nitrites and nitrates went that were in there up until a few days ago...? Ammonia hasn't budged through it all...

I guess we'll wait it out through the weekend and if nothing changes, perhaps we'll order another seeded filter and try again...

Ugh.

Hm, yeah I would think by now you would have seen some change, at least ammonia dropping if nothing else. How high are you dosing ammonia? Have you tested PH lately to be sure it hasn't dropped (PH crashes are common during cycling and can cause a stall).

I'd do a 100% water change with conditioner just to restore the buffers in the water, add the Replenish if you want too, and then redose ammonia to 2 and let's see what happens in 24 hours.

Ammonia is at about 2.0 (I haven't added any since the last water change about 2 weeks ago, but it has remained at 2.0 since then), and the ph has stayed fairly constant (don't test ph every day--but every few days)

Thanks, LibraryGIrl for your response--I think that's what we'll do if we don't see any change tomorrow. Then Monday I'll order a new seeded filter or two, and hopefully add that by the end of the week...

It does seem something is wrong with our water.

I'd use Prime for your conditioner if you can get it. It's more concentrated so you'll need less. The Nova Auqa stuff seems to add PH buffers (which is odd and not needed and can cause PH instability) and some sort of biofiltration stuff that may or may not be the correct type of bacteria. I'd ditch it and just use Prime.

I'd use Prime for your conditioner if you can get it. It's more concentrated so you'll need less. The Nova Auqa stuff seems to add PH buffers (which is odd and not needed and can cause PH instability) and some sort of biofiltration stuff that may or may not be the correct type of bacteria. I'd ditch it and just use Prime.

Don't buffers STABILIZE pH and work AGAINST fluctuations in acidity/alkinity? :huh: And as my water is naturally very soft, buffers seem necessary to keep the pH from fluctuating...

Also, our water comes out of the tap at 6.8 and once in the tank the pH rises to 8.0. Doesn't this situation indicate a need for a buffer?

My bottle of NovaAqua Plus says adds:" protective skin slime coating, echinacea, natural electrolytes and vitamins. Detoxifies and removes chlorine and detoxifies chlorimines and breaks them down. Removes copper and other toxic metals." It doesn't say anything about boi bacteria. I paid $10+ for it would like to not waste it and buy another...

On a related note, straight from our well, our water pH is 5.6. Before it reaches our faucets, it's nuetralized with an injection of sodium carbonate solution (aka soda ash or washing soda) to bring the pH up to 6.8. All of the water we've been putting in the tank comes out of the faucets at a pH of 6.8...just wondering if the sodium carbonate used to neutralize the water could be having any effect on my cycle? (I think not)

And if that method of nuetralizing the water is bad for my tank, then what? Because I understand low pH can stall a cycle as well...

I thought I had a pretty firm grasp of chemistry in general and water chemistry in particlular...but this tank is challenging everything I thought I knew...

I did some quick internet research, and learned that "total alkalinity" as used in pool chemistry is the same as "kh hardness" in aquarium chemistry...can someone verify this?

I have a high-quality pool test kit that measures total alkalinity. If the two are the same I can save some time and money on a separate kH aquarium test kit...

Hmmm...I think I may have scared everyone off ! :ermm:

Anyway, no change yet. I ordered 2 new Angels Plus active filters and they should arrive on Thursday.

My son has been beyond frustrated, and he had a day off today and has decided that after 8 weeks he's going to start over with a fish-in cycle. He did two 90% WCs, re-dosed with Replenish and NovAqua, changed filter pads (just in case there are any nasties lurking in there)). He is now out shopping for some small inexpensive barbs to cycle with.

I am adjusting the alkalinity (kH) with baking soda as well. I expect he will have to monitor kH and GH on an ongoing basis, as our water is extremely soft and low kH (alkalinity).

There are a couple threads on here where people used the active Angels Plus filters to "instant cycle" their tanks. That is what we're hoping to do. Till six little fish are able to produce a readable amount of ammonia, our filter will be here and ready to go...

Wish us luck!:fish2::fish2:

Back
Top Bottom