Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Started my fishless cycle!

Hello All! I have a 29gallon and I started my fish less cycle on 1-15-12 I dosed my ammonia up then and today it is at 2ppm. I know its only been two days so should I let it sit or dose it back u to 4? Thanks for your help

Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dose it back up. I would say for the first week check the ammonia every two days and then dose back up to 4ppm. The second week you can start checking it daily if you like and by the end of the second keep an eye out for trites. No need to test nitrates that soon as they typically won't even register unless you adding some seeding material from another established tank. hang in there you may have about a month or more to go, just keep posting your test results and have patience.

P.S. prepare to be frustrated with the time, delay in trites showing up and the delay in trates showing up but once they do it's exciting. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will dose again Red....thanks! Patience is not something I easily come by but I'm working on it,lol
Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I hear you, just hang in there and it will be exciting once you can stock your tank and not have to worry about daily water changes and ammonia/nitrate spikes.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi again I hope I haven't done any real damage! On Saturday the 21st my water tested 2ppm so I dosed backed up to 4ppm and tested today and it was .25 so I dosed back to 4. Any big problems there with it dropping so low? Also, my Ph tested slightly darker than 7.6 so I did a high range test and it didn't compare to anything there.....it was a light plum color, def lighter than the 8.4 but not brownish like the 8.2 any comments? Thanks everyone
Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

No problems! Your amm dropping is a good sign that your progressing through the first stage of developing your bacteria. Just continue with your daily tests & dose the amm back up to 4ppm when you see it drop. Have you checked for nitrites yet? If your amm is dropping, you should be seeing some nitrites show up on your tests. Dont worry about your ph- as long as it stays stable, you will be fine!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the reply jlk. I just tested for nitrites....did 2 tests! My plain tap water is 0 and the tank water I'm not sure about. It looks like a hoy pink with a touch of purple. I'll try to attach a photo. Is this possible already?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120123_114715.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	72740
Old 01-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, its possible! You have nitrites which is a good sign of progression! Keep up the good work!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks sooo much....I'm so excited!
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good morning! I tested again this morning (24hrs later) and my ammonia is back down to. 25, the trites are the same as yesterday, a hot purple pink (not matching anything on the chart) and the trates are 5.0 my tap water is 5.0 also so that means there is none showing up for those, correct? I dosed ammonia back to 4ppm. Is there anything I should be doing? Thanks

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com