Starting a tank - First in a long time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy!

I'm not new to having a FW tank, but it has been a good 5-6 years since I've had one. The last tank was a 55g and it lasted for about 2 years w/ about 22 fish until the end when something got introduced and they all died in 2 days.

Anyway, I'm now getting back into the hobbie because it was fun. I have recently aquired a new 55g tank with a (what I think is called) a wet/dry sump. The sump itself looks like about a 10g tank.

My plans are for a heavily planted tank with some driftwood. I already have placed in a 2-1 ratio of a fertilizer stuff and rock from the fish store (the fertilizer stuff took forever to clean, and I still didn't do a good job!). I filled the tank with water, and have the sump running. I'm waiting for it to clear up before I do anything else.

I would like to add a piece of driftwood that is almost as long as the tank. I already have it picked out. Then I was planning on getting several different types of plants, both to be in the rocks and on the driftwood, plus a fast growing, low to the ground type of stuff to pretty much cover the bottom in a soft felt looking way (yea... very descriptive!) :)

After I get all that stuff going I'll add the fish. No idea on those yet.

My biggest concern is lighting. Currenly I have 1 florecent bulb that runs the length of the tank... I don't think that will be enough for all the plants that I would like to have, so I'm going to be looking into adding some additional lighting if needed.

Yea, I tend to write books!

Chris

Welcome to AA !! You'll like it here.

If you want a low, bottom covering plant, you would need a lot more light than stock. people don't have much luck with ground cover without 4+ WPG of light, and injected CO2 & fertilizer. A single 4' linear fluorescent will not cut it.

If you head over to the "Fresh water - Planted" forum, you will find stickies discussing lights & other issues with a planted tank. For a 55, you have a few choices in light. Sticking to medium light (so you don't have to mess with CO2 .... but then, ground cover is out), you can get twin T5-HO fixture (54Wx2) or Power compact fixtures in the range of 100-150W total. If you are into DIY, the most economical solution would be 3-4 regular T8's (96-128W total). T5-HO is considered the best at this point, but the most expensive!

Well, I can do without the ground cover as I do not want to get into the CO2 relm at this time. I will look into adding more light, I didn't think what I had was enough for the planting I want.

Well, i decided that it is better to try and have everything set up correct to begin with so I bought a double 4' fixture and two bulbs from the store (Power Glow and Life Glow 2). This will hopefully help!

Back
Top Bottom