Starting my 40gal aquarium - Stocking help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmenFashion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I just purchased a 40gal aquarium and I'm going to get it all set up tomorrow.
I'll let it go through it's cycle for a few weeks before I start adding fish.
However, I need some help with stocking.

I'm very interested in the main focus to be on Discus.
Are those recommended for a 40gal? If so, how many is healthy for them?

And what are some other fish that are compatible with the Discus?
I'm very interested in Tetras, gourami, mollies, raspbora, "algae eaters", etc.
Maybe a crab or two for the bottom?
But I'm open to all types, so any recommendations / tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much. :)

Hello! I don't know about discus in a 40 gallon tank. I have no experience with them so hopefully someone else can give you more advice.

As for the fish your interested in, you could do a honey or pearl gourami as a centerpiece fish around various tetra species. Maybe some Cory cats for the bottom? Panda cories are adorable!

Is it a 40 regular or 40 breeder? That will make a difference in the fish you want too.

Hello! I don't know about discus in a 40 gallon tank. I have no experience with them so hopefully someone else can give you more advice.

As for the fish your interested in, you could do a honey or pearl gourami as a centerpiece fish around various tetra species. Maybe some Cory cats for the bottom? Panda cories are adorable!

Is it a 40 regular or 40 breeder? That will make a difference in the fish you want too.

Pearl Gourami are beautiful.
If I were to try those, could I get multiple? Maybe a pair? Or are they kind of a lone species.
Panda Cories are a great idea! Putting them on my list.

My 40gal is regular.
If it makes a difference, it's a large octagon, about 25in tall.

What's the footprint of the tank? (Length and width)

Yes pearl gourami are gorgeous. My favorite of the species anyway. I'm thinking your footprint might be kinda small, so just one. If you had a regular 40 or better yet a 40 breeder (the long ones) you could get a trio (1 M: 2 F)

Back
Top Bottom