Starting over..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLOCK.HERo12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I'm back, gave up on the fishless method of cycleing my tank with pure ammonia,decided too go with tradition, i have a twenty gallon long tank,heater power filter with bio wheel, bubble wall, gravel live plants and fake ones, added three mollies to start the cycle process, the guy at the pet store they were good, for the process , right know i'm pleased with the way things are coming out, any suggestion????
what's the next step???:D

Although many aquarists (myself included) believe fishless cycling to be superior to fish-in for a number of reasons, it is an opinion and a choice. Since you're cycling with fish, the next step is to wait. It usually takes 6 to 8 weeks. Test your water often, and make sure you're doing water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite under control so the fish are put under the smallest possible amount of stress.

Consider looking into Prime to detoxify the ammonia and nitrite. It won't remove the chemicals, but it changes them to another form that isn't toxic to the fish but still available to the BB. Normally you want to avoid putting chemicals in your tank as much as possible, but in this case it might save your fish some stress (or death) and speed the cycle a little. The idea is to use prime regularly to keep ammonia and/or nitrite detoxified so you don't have to change the water as much and more food is kept available for the BB.

Unfortunately I've only read about this and haven't tried it myself, and I don't know what the correct dose would be to detoxify ammonia and nitrite. If anyone has any experience with this, please chime in!

BLOCK.HERo12 said:
Hello, I'm back, gave up on the fishless method of cycleing my tank with pure ammonia,decided too go with tradition, i have a twenty gallon long tank,heater power filter with bio wheel, bubble wall, gravel live plants and fake ones, added three mollies to start the cycle process, the guy at the pet store they were good, for the process , right know i'm pleased with the way things are coming out, any suggestion????
what's the next step???:D

Nothing wrong with fish in cycling! You have to be willing to keep up the water changes. Personally I don't like to add anything to a tank that is not needed/can be fixed by fresh water (including extra prime). This is how I fish in cycle.
Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH daily. Every time ammonia or nitrite reaches 0.25ppm or more preform a PWC. Add prime to the water being added. Keep this up until ammonia and nitrite are testing 0 and nitrate is present.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Back
Top Bottom