Stock ideas please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishdreamz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 50 gallon planted tank with one bolivian ram two thread fins and one black neon tetra. I plan on hitting the fish store on Friday. I want to get another bolivian ram to make a pair. I have a female. I also plan on getting more thread fins not sure how many for a small school. And maybe 2 black neons for buddies for the one neon. Any suggestions beyond that? Thinking of a Cory cat.

Second tank is a 12 gallon. I have two fancy tail guppies that are back and red both male. Any suggestions for that tank?

Third tank is a five gallon I set up today with water from my big tank. I would like some dwarf shrimp in there but the fish does not have any.
Suggestions??

50 gallon is a good amount of space.

I would get atleast 4 more threadfins
7 black neons
And could go 8 corys most are around the same size so species doesn't matter.
I would even through in a bristlenose pleco

That has all layers of your tank covered and still a bit of room to play with in y eyes.
Maybe something top dwelling.

Why do you recommend so many corys? Rams hang at the bottom but do not eat food on the bottom. Thanks!

Trip to the store picked up another bolivian ram not so positive I got a male that I needed. No thread fins to pick up available and no Cory's. went to a second store they had Cory's but wanted $7.99 a piece. No rummy nose to be found either. 2 danios to help cycle the 5 gallon. Planing on a beta and dwarf shrimp. Who knows.. Not much to choose from.

For the 50 gal I'd look to do at least 12 threadfins and 12-15 neons (or even better cardinal tetras). They are much more comfortable and impressive in larger groups. 8-10 cories would be good and you could look to do a peace gourami like a pearl or honey.

A school of fish is like 8-12, not 3. So if your going to keep any schooling fish it would be best to have a school of at leary 8-12 of whichever typpe you keep. Cories, tetras, and rainbows fall in these categories. They might be ok with lower numbers but you will really enjoy them more on higher numbers and see their best behaviours.

I started with 3 harlequen rasboras and I am up to 9 and the behavior difference is stunning. Same with my cories and kuhli loaches. The more I get the more I enjoy them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the info. I guess I really never realized they do much better in higher numbers. I guess I'm scared of over stocking. I did forget to mention I did pick up more of the black neons so I have 5 of those now. Whoo Hoo. They colored up the instant they were all together. The single one I had in the tank had some good deep color. The new ones added followed suit:) now just waiting for the fish store to get more thread fins and Cory cats I want to do one more fish of interest. Some type of colored rainbow. But there again I do not want to over stock. Hard to find variety at the LFS as well.

Generally, people pick 2 - 3 schooling fish and then follow that with 1 - 2 centerpiece fish. This gives a good flow to a tank without making things too chaotic.

For your schooling fish you have the tetras, threadfins, and corys. I would increase their numbers rather than adding different schooling fish.

Yout centerpiece fish is the ram. If you want another I'd take a look at a dwarf gourami. They are very colorful and are a good beginner fish.

Some other questions:
1. How long has the tank been set up?
2. How was it cycled?
3. How long were the first fish in there before the second addition?
4. What are your parameters at?

Just want to check to make sure the tank is safe for new fish :)

Lastly, check www.aqadvisor.com to check the stocking.level of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom