Stocking 20 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missriss126

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I am starting up a 20 gallon long freshwater tank. I plan on having some hardy, low light plants (like Java fern and anubias).

Here is kinda what I thought would be a good plan for stocking. Any opinions or additional ideas are welcome!

Show fish: for a few more impressive fish I was thinking of a few blue rams.

Schooling fish: tiger barbs (8) or cardinal tetras (10)

At least 4 Cory cats

Maybe a few Otos to help with algae when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never kept tiger barbs before but I've seen them in the store and I don't think they would be good in that size of tank with other fish, so I'd say skip them and do the tetras.

I've never kept tiger barbs before but I've seen them in the store and I don't think they would be good in that size of tank with other fish, so I'd say skip them and do the tetras.

Thank you! What I liked about the tiger barbs is that they are pretty spunky and have a lot of personality. However, a good school of tetras will still be a beautiful addition and add a lot of color!

I've heard a lot of people say that tigers can be real monsters if not kept in high enough numbers and if not given enough room with other tank mates, which would be a bad thing with the cories and rams. I've always wanted tigers with a bigger cichlid or two myself but don't really have a tank for that kind kind of setup atm.

If you do tigers in a 20 long I suggest a species only tank tigers are generally really aggressive. If you want cory cats and Otos get the cardinals.

I decided to do fish in cycling. I know a lot of people disagree with it, but this is the better option for me right now. I currently have 5 giant danios in there. I work at a local pet store that has a large freshwater selection, so once my tank is cycled I will be returning the giant danios in favor of some fish I plan to keep in my tank.

When we get our next plant order in I will be getting some hardy, low light plants. Thinking if starting just with the java fern and anubias. What other low light plants will flourish with stock full spectrum lighting?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387518993.312201.jpg

A nice alternative to tiger barbs are pentazona (5-banded) barbs, as they look extremely similar but are quite peaceful. I currently keep them with rummynose tetras and a GBR in my 20g.

Back
Top Bottom