Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rauljr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys I'm new to the hobby and to the forum.

I have just set up (3 days ago) a 56g tank. The dimesions are 30" W x 18" D x 24" H. I started a fishless cycle and hopefully that wont take to long as I'm eager to start putting my little guys in there.

I have my heart set on a koi angelfish. As far as comanions i was thinking.
- 8 dwarf neon rainbow fish (Melanotaenia praecox)
- 8 rummynose tetras
- 1 albino bristle nose pleco
- 2 electric blue rams

I have some fake plans and driftwood from the LFS. My filter is a Fluval 306.

Will this setup work? Any suggestions or concerns

If i'm not mistaken Koi can reach up to 3' in length. Those other fish would end up being an expensive snack for him :)

If i'm not mistaken Koi can reach up to 3' in length. Those other fish would end up being an expensive snack for him :)

A koi angelfish is just a type of angelfish not an actual Koi.

Hey guys I'm new to the hobby and to the forum.

I have just set up (3 days ago) a 56g tank. The dimesions are 30" W x 18" D x 24" H. I started a fishless cycle and hopefully that wont take to long as I'm eager to start putting my little guys in there.

I have my heart set on a koi angelfish. As far as comanions i was thinking.
- 8 dwarf neon rainbow fish (Melanotaenia praecox)
- 8 rummynose tetras
- 1 albino bristle nose pleco
- 2 electric blue rams

I have some fake plans and driftwood from the LFS. My filter is a Fluval 306.

Will this setup work? Any suggestions or concerns

Stock list sounds great.

Last edited:
A koi angelfish is just a type of angelfish not an actual Koi.

Oops misread it.. lol

I like the stocking list then after recognizing my blunder. Personally I might go with schools of 10 with the rummynose and rainbows.

I like the stocking very nice. I would prefer german blue rams instead of the electric blues as they are interbred for the colour. In short, they get sick alot easier. Also, buy a few Java ferns and amazon swords - the fish will appreciate the real plants rather than the fake ones. The plants will help keep your tank clean.

Some sources I read state that rams are shy feeders so I wouldnt add them.

Yea I'm conserned about the rams because I hear they can be more somewhat difficult.

I would love to do a planted aquarium but so far from what I read I think they may be more difficult to maintain than I'm ready for. I also already have gravel for my substrate and LED lighting (Marineland Double Bright LED Lighting System)and I'm not sure if what I have will fulfill the needs of something like an Amazon Sword or Java ferns. I would be willing to switch to sand or another type of gravel but the last thingI want to do slow down my cycle, since I know some of the bacteria will live in my gravel not just the filter. Also I would loose the bacteria on the fake plants.

Yea I'm conserned about the rams because I hear they can be more somewhat difficult.

I would love to do a planted aquarium but so far from what I read I think they may be more difficult to maintain than I'm ready for. I also already have gravel for my substrate and LED lighting (Marineland Double Bright LED Lighting System)and I'm not sure if what I have will fulfill the needs of something like an Amazon Sword or Java ferns. I would be willing to switch to sand or another type of gravel but the last thingI want to do slow down my cycle, since I know some of the bacteria will live in my gravel not just the filter. Also I would loose the bacteria on the fake plants.

The plants will do just fine. That light should give you a medium light level and to fertilize your plants all you need are root tabs. The special substrates aren't necessary. So I would go for it! planted tanks are easier to maintain water quality wise :) They only get to be difficult when you start talking about fertilizer dosing.

The plants will do just fine. That light should give you a medium light level and to fertilize your plants all you need are root tabs. The special substrates aren't necessary. So I would go for it! planted tanks are easier to maintain water quality wise :) They only get to be difficult when you start talking about fertilizer dosing.

Would I need a CO2 injector dont really want to deal with that part lol. Also would the bristtle nose pleco be an issue? I heard plecos can cause some serious damage to swords

I have a few different broad leaf plants like the amazon sword in my tank along with 2 BN plecos. Any damage they have done to my plants has been minimal at most. Just be sure to keep them fed with wafers and they will be fine.

Co2 injection is only really necessary at high light levels. Although it might be beneficial to dose your tank with Excel or some other form of liquid carbon.

Would I need a CO2 injector dont really want to deal with that part lol. Also would the bristtle nose pleco be an issue? I heard plecos can cause some serious damage to swords

My plecs have never really touched my plants. But i keep em well fed, in particular at nights. They seem most active in the dark - so i put a few algae pallets in b4 the lights are turned off. I also feed them zucchini from time to time. With the plants, just research low light plants - they are some of the most beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom