stocking 36G bowfront help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok so my cycle is getting close to being complete, ammonia going down, Nitrites spiked, Nitrates still 0 so not long now. Anyway here is what I am thinking about. Let me know what you "guys" think.

4 Red Cherry Shrimp
6 GloFish
1 Neon Blue Gourami
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Flame Dwarf Gourami
1 Boesemani Rainbow
2 Mickey Mouse Platy
2 Dalmatian Lyretail

Mixer :confused:

I would recommend Only doing one gourami. The Dwarf gourami (just like bettas) are aggressive toward their own kind and other gouramis. Having 3 will only be looking for trouble.

The Boesemani Rainbow fish is a schooling fish and needs to be in a school of at least 6. You might want to go with a smaller rainbow (They get around 4 inches), but thats just my opinion.

You might want to get more than just 4 red cherry shrimp, I can barely find all 5 of mine in 30 gallon (Usually only see 4 out of 5. On occasions 5). You might want to also go with a bigger species of shrimp like Amano shrimp (You have to be wary with your DG).

I would advise only to get one gender of Mollies and Platies (Female; Males usually fight). This will avoid constant breeding. <- But, Females can hold sperm up to 3-4 months after the first spawn so you are probably going to get babies either way.

I agree with tyspot

The 3 gouarmies could be a problem, some people have success with them, but you will need plenty of plants or ornaments to create their own spaces.

Tyler pretty much nailed it.

Fish love shrimp. This morning I found my guppies snacking on a full-grown RCS. I'm not sure how it died, but they sure made short work of the body. If you're going to try a colony of RCS, start with about 20 and provide them moss or bushy plants to hide in. Hopefully you'll be able to start a breeding colony that will replace any losses the fish might cause.

So is the gourami problem mainly that I have multiple species? I have seen plenty if tanks with multiple gourami. Also what other rainbows are there? I've only seen the bosemani.

Also maybe I will replace the glofish with 6 red nose tetras. Man! So many choices.

Gouramis are actually in the same family as bettas and they sometimes have very similar personalities. If you could get a male-female pair of gouramis, you might be able to add more than one.

Back
Top Bottom