Stocking A 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now the gouramis even though there different kinds do I still need to have 1 male 1 female?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless you're planning on eventually breeding them then you shouldn't have to worry about male-female matching. Some of my favorite gouramis off the top of my head are -

Moonlight gourami

Kissing gourami

Dwarf Neon gourami (blues & reds)

Paradise gourami

Pearl gourami

I have no want or desire to become a breeder. Even though it would be a cool experience I have nothing to do with all the babies. And my wife would probably kill me if I tried to get another aqaurium

I have no want or desire to become a breeder. Even though it would be a cool experience I have nothing to do with all the babies. And my wife would probably kill me if I tried to get another aqaurium

Hahaha I get it - if you ever think about it though, I'd suggest starting with live bearers; much much easier to take care of

I'll keep that in mind

Hahaha I get it - if you ever think about it though, I'd suggest starting with live bearers; much much easier to take care of

I beg to differ, lol- try having all your female live bearers popping at the same time- not fun as far as bioload goes!! I had to introduce my Bolivian rams and my frogs to combat the overpopulation problem, which only made it worse- my rams started breeding- I'm now setting up a 65g for peacock cichlids for my 150g, 125g, 90g and 60g NW cichlid tanks can't keep up!! I have to clean the tank and change 10% of my water in my daughters 40b every day.... I thought convicts were prolific breeders!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I beg to differ, lol- try having all your female live bearers popping at the same time- not fun as far as bioload goes!! I had to introduce my Bolivian rams and my frogs to combat the overpopulation problem, which only made it worse- my rams started breeding- I'm now setting up a 65g for peacock cichlids for my 150g, 125g, 90g and 60g NW cichlid tanks can't keep up!! I have to clean the tank and change 10% of my water in my daughters 40b every day.... I thought convicts were prolific breeders!!

I agree convicts are easy, but it can be a pain dealing with their fry, while live bearers breed prolifically. Just my opinion.

Lol that sound like it's more work than enjoyment at that point

Oh, and the male to female ratios I suggest are more for aggression dispersal, not breeding, which is almost always 3f per male....

Back
Top Bottom