Stocking a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AC-X2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up my new 20 gallon tank and have a AquaClear 50 power filter on it. What would be some good fish to stock it with, and how many? My local pet stores are: PetSmart, PetCo, and World of Pets.

Thanks!

-Wyatt

Harlequin rasboras, Guppies, Platies, dwarf gourami, Tetras, Barbs, Danios, and Cory Cats to name some.

There are different species with different requirements in those groups but they would be a good start and are all fairly easy fish to find at the larger chain stores.

I would suggest making a list of some of those fish and then put it here then someone can tell you wether or not it will work out

Harlequin rasboras, Guppies, Platies, dwarf gourami, Tetras, Barbs, Danios, and Cory Cats to name some.

There are different species with different requirements in those groups but they would be a good start and are all fairly easy fish to find at the larger chain stores.

Ok, thanks. I'll have to look some of those breeds up, I've had: Guppies, Platies, and Tetras before. Would all those fish get along together? I'm only familiar with the comm breeds such as Guppies, Tetras, etc.

I would suggest making a list of some of those fish and then put it here then someone can tell you wether or not it will work out

Once I get a good idea of the kinds of fish I want I will post a list.

And if you feel like that's over stocking, you could always go with neons

Ok, is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water the rule I should follow? A clerk at PetCo said with a 20 gallon I could have 6-8 fish. I'm sure I could have more though, especially since I have a big filter.

Ok, is 1 inch of fish per 1 gallon of water the rule I should follow? A clerk at PetCo said with a 20 gallon I could have 6-8 fish. I'm sure I could have more though, especially since I have a big filter.

No, nobody would put a 10 inch Oscar in a 10 gallon would you

Note, this a a freshwater tank, I looked up the flames and the only freshwater one I could find is a flame Dwarf Gourami

Ok, there called flame tetras at my local fish store, but I think there full name is Von rio. Flame tetras. I think that's right.

Back
Top Bottom