Stocking a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, here is what I'd like to have:

Definitely a Dwarf Gourami
Guppies
Maybe a few tetras
Maybe a Danio
A Cory Catfish
I like Swordtails, would they be a good fish to add?
I also like Mollies

So how many of each should I have? Would they all get along? And I'm not sure that all my local pet store have all of those, I REALLY want a Dwarf Gourami. Is buying fish online like from DrFosterandSmith a good idea?

If anyone knows of a better configuration or of another kind of fish please post it!

So, here is what I'd like to have:

Definitely a Dwarf Gourami
Guppies
Maybe a few tetras
Maybe a Danio
A Cory Catfish
I like Swordtails, would they be a good fish to add?
I also like Mollies

So how many of each should I have? Would they all get along? And I'm not sure that all my local pet store have all of those, I REALLY want a Dwarf Gourami. Is buying fish online like from DrFosterandSmith a good idea?

If anyone knows of a better configuration or of another kind of fish please post it!

Swords get to big for a 20. I think there max size is 5-6 inches. DG are perfect for a 20 so that would be fine. I would decide on if you either want a school of tetras or danios. There both great fish, with danios being more active the most tetras, but both love to school. Cory's are great and there really funny to watch. A school of 3 or 4 would be best for a 20. Could do 5 if you look into pygmies. I'm not sure on mollies but I know they have high bio loads compared to size. Mabye try platies. There kin to swords and have great color but only get around 2-3 inches. :)

ok so you want a dwarf gourami which would be good maybe a couple male guppies maybe six tetras you should probably not do a danio I would say do 4 Corry cats and you'll maybe do a swordtail I don't know to much about those so someone with a bit more experience could chime in and I don't think I would do a molly they have a pretty large bio load...and I guess you could possibly do a few danios but I wouldn't recommend it

Swords get to big for a 20. I think there max size is 5-6 inches. DG are perfect for a 20 so that would be fine. I would decide on if you either want a school of tetras or danios. There both great fish, with danios being more active the most tetras, but both love to school. Cory's are great and there really funny to watch. A school of 3 or 4 would be best for a 20. Could do 5 if you look into pygmies. I'm not sure on mollies but I know they have high bio loads compared to size. Mabye try platies. There kin to swords and have great color but only get around 2-3 inches. :)

So how many Dwarf Gouramis can I have? I like the Danios over the tetras. So your saying 3 Cory's? What Pygmies are you talking about? I have 2 Platies already, and I'd like some guppies also.

ok so you want a dwarf gourami which would be good maybe a couple male guppies maybe six tetras you should probably not do a danio I would say do 4 Corry cats and you'll maybe do a swordtail I don't know to much about those so someone with a bit more experience could chime in and I don't think I would do a molly they have a pretty large bio load...and I guess you could possibly do a few danios but I wouldn't recommend it

Why don't you reccomend danios? I like their looks over the tetras

Also, would ordering fish online from places like liveaquaria.com be a good idea?

So how many Dwarf Gouramis can I have? I like the Danios over the tetras. So your saying 3 Cory's? What Pygmies are you talking about? I have 2 Platies already, and I'd like some guppies also.

There are a certain breed of Cory's that are pygmies. There called Pygmy Cory's and are harder to find but might be able to find some on pet solutions or live aquaria. You can have one male for sure, might be able to pull off two, but that is only if you lots of plant coverage and territory dividers. I would only keep 1 in this tank though, that way your danios have more swimming room. You could have 3 male guppies with no problem. Might be slightly over stocked but it could work, just keep up on water changes.

There are a certain breed of Cory's that are pygmies. There called Pygmy Cory's and are harder to find but might be able to find some on pet solutions or live aquaria. You can have one male for sure, might be able to pull off two, but that is only if you lots of plant coverage and territory dividers. I would only keep 1 in this tank though, that way your danios have more swimming room. You could have 3 male guppies with no problem. Might be slightly over stocked but it could work, just keep up on water changes.

The species I want are
DG-1
Guppies-3-4?
Danios-4-5?
My 2 Platies
And what's the minimum amount of Cory's I can have?

This is overwhelming, so many kinds of fish! I can't keep up with all of them!

Cory cats do better in groups of 4+

They also can get 3+ inches. You could always go with a nice colony of ghost shrimp instead. Danios have lots of energy and can be nippy if you have them in to small of schools. I think you can get away with a DG and 5 danios. Though how many platies do you have now
Edit
Never mind in the platies

What's the shipping process? How expensive are the shipping fees?

It's over night shipping and it's pretty high in LA, I like pet solution becuse they have lower shipping rates and more to choose from and still have good quality

The species I want are
DG-1
Guppies-3-4?
Danios-4-5?
My 2 Platies
And what's the minimum amount of Cory's I can have?

This is overwhelming, so many kinds of fish! I can't keep up with all of them!

Words of warning, danios can be nippy. And you not have to nesscarily have cories as bottom feeders. You could go for ghost, cherries or amino shrimp instead. They add almost nothing to the bioload. I would only add 2 guppies.

I only said not to do danios because I I thought you were going to do tetras...but Nevermind lol danios are good....they are pretty nippy...and since I only have one now it nips at my female bettas a lot...and if you do go with shrimp I would recommend amano shrimp because they are bigger than cherrys and they clean up better than ghost shrimp do

Words of warning, danios can be nippy. And you not have to nesscarily have cories as bottom feeders. You could go for ghost, cherries or amino shrimp instead. They add almost nothing to the bioload. I would only add 2 guppies.

I don't want aggressive fish, and I don't have to have cories, and I don't really want shrimp.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom