stocking ideas for 20gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gal tank, currently home to 1 flame dwarf gourami and 1 oto cat. I've lost 3 otos and another gourami in the last two months so I'm going to wait a while to make sure things are going okay, but wanted ideas of what to put in there next. I'd like to get more otos but not sure what else.

What fish might be best in this sized tank? I know water changes will always be necessary (for me, every 6-8 days) but what fish are a little less sensitive?

Also, if this seems familiar, it's likely because I first posted it under "General Discussion", before noticing the much more applicable "Getting Started" section just below it, :sorry:

Hey, another Ohioan, welcome to AA. Otos supposedly have a hard time adjusting to new tanks. You may have more luck with most any freshwater fish you buy.

Is the 20 gallon a 'long' 20 (30 inches long) or the 20 tall? The 20 long would have more bottom space for bottom feeders like cories, which the gourami shouldn't bother. If it's the tall one the gourami might want to claim most of that vertical space.

I guess I must have the 20 tall, as it's only 24" wide. The gourami do dominate the upper half of the tank but will spend time near the bottom as well.

As for the otos, I was torn on getting more. I know they do better in groups but didn't really want to get more, so the choice was between waiting for the little guy to die or possibly help him do better by getting him more friends. They were already going after the algae I'd so thoughtfully allowed to grow :)rolleyes:) so that's a small consolation.

Do you know of any other additions that might do well in here?

Back
Top Bottom