Stocking suggestions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heiko

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right,

I finally got my act together and have arranged with my lfs for them to take 2 of my angels on credit (maby 1 of my male swordtails 2). Also i have got a good home for my danios in a friends 20g tank. :lol:

So in my 20g i am left with:

1 Marble Angle
6 Green Tiger Barbs
1 Swordtail
1 Red finned shark

So i am looking possibly for some/a bottom feeders (algae eaters) and maybe some livebearers so i can raise my own fry. :)

What would you suggest would look and fit in the best. 8)

To be honest, the red finned shark is not good in a 20 gallon. He will get too big.
Once you remove that.....well, maybe get a female swordtail. That would make your tank about fully stocked.

And if you really want bottom feeders, I would get rid of 3 tiger barbs and get yourself 3 cories or something.

I know it is a pita to know how many fish you can keep, and what fish need what tank sizes etc.
Your angel will likely also outgrow the tank you have now.

:(

I'm not saying that it can't be done. But if you're going to add more fish, then I would at least get some extra filtration other then the filtration that comes with the Juwel aquarium. Maybe add a sponge filter or a hob filter.

Good luck!

right,

its a bit of a bummer but i think ill keep my red finned shark untill he gets a bit bigger. And the angel has loads of room now his mates will be going. hmm ill c. :oops:

Yes im really tempted to get a HOB now. Any ideas on which one. Bearing in mind the cost. And any good UK sites i can get them from?

Thanks for al your help. :)

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/listsections.asp?parent=12&seq=18&retp=8&rets=15

The cheapest one is 13.40£ . You shouldn't really need any replacement filter material, since this a sponge filter, and you can always clean them in old tank water when you do a water change (never under the tap, the cloramins in tapwater will kill most of the beneficial bacteria that grow on the sponge)
Eheim is a good brand, I have a sponge filter myself from Eheim. Used to be my dads, and is at least 10 years old and still working perfectly, also very quiet.

HTH!

sure thanks man. :)

I really cant remember what i did before i found AA. LOL 8O :D

BTW Will this £13.50 one be the right size/power for my tank.

thnx :)

IMO as long as the fish have enough room to swim with now territory problems, and you water is clean, you can stock a little more than some people say. I think you can add bottom feeders in with what you have just fine, maybe 3 cory catfish. If you got a male and female guppies, you could raise your guppy fry, but they would probably be a nice snack for your angel.

hmm,

Thats what i was thinking. so do you think i should take back all of my angels then. That would give me more room for guppies. Do you think guppies are the best fish to try and breed?

I have so many question i know.

thanks ashley

My only concern is that the tiger barbs may start harassing the bottom feeders you might add, since tiger barbs generally stay in the lower and middle region of the tank. Don't know if that is true for your tiger barbs though. Since you have 6 tiger barbs, it may be possible that they will stick to harrasing themselves though. JMMV

Guppies would be the easiest fish to start breeding. :wink:

Guppies are definately good for breeding, but with the fish you have now you will run into problems. For now, I would say take back the angel because he will get to big for the tank plus his fins would be nipped by the tiger barbs. You shouldn't even keep guppies in that tank because they will also have their fins nipped by the tiger barbs. I know that tigers nipping behaviours can be reduced if they are in a school, but I still wouldn't trust them.

HTH

I think one Angel is enough for a 20 gallon becuase they have long fins and need room to swim around, when mine get bigger, im hoping they will pair off so i can have a breeding pair.

Are your tiger barbs harrasing your angel? If they are not i wouldn't worry about it, but if they are you may need to rethink either the angel or the barbs, i had to chose between angels and rosy barbs... my choice was the angels.

Sometimes if you have a school of barbs, ive heard they don't bother the other fish though, not to sure about that, if i were you i would just get a couple of small bottom feeders and see how things work out. Cory cats are really cute.

About the live bearers, ive heard guppies breed like CRAZY, ive never had any swordtails though, so i can't really help you there. I would think you could either get a female swordtail, or a male and female guppy, but your barbs and angel will most likely eat the fry.

just wanted to add, if you do get more fish, you WILL have to monitor your water parameters very carefully because you will be at risk for an ammonia spike, you will have to do more frequent water changes and watch for aggression issues! Thats why most people around here recommend pretty modest stocking levels, becuase it makes things easier. I think if you are careful with what you stock, you can push the stocking level, thats why most people are advising you agianst more fish is because of the Tiger Barbs. HTH, and good luck

Yes my barbs are kinda more occupied with themselves than anyone else in the tank. If anything its the angle that gives them the chase if they get too close that is. LOL :lol:

And my tigers kind of travel all over the tank. In there little school. lol

Just out of interest are angels alright on there own or do they need other angels? cos if thats true i really should take him back.

Im going to get that other HOB. and then hopefully i can see if i can succesfully intergrate a couple of guppies.

Also when the female guppy is about to give birth you'll want to move her to another tank and then move her back to the main tank so the barbs won't eat the babies.

ye i gathered that from the breeding forums. ive got a small breeding tank that i can put her in and sit in the water to keep it the same temp etc.

thnx

Back
Top Bottom