Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Substrate question and discus fish mates for 150gal

Hi i have a few questions im hoping someone has some good advice. I am looking for a lighter color sand like substrate that can be used for discus. I dont want the nature sand that can be bought at the petstore because that stuff is way too fine and gets disturbed super easy. I want something more coarse but at the same type a cory cat or a small eel or loach can easily burry themselves and not cause the substrate to fly around the tank. I have blasting sand in my other tanks and love it. But i want something lighter for my 150gal. I am planning on placing organic soil as a bottom layer so i can place plants later down the line. But i want a good top layer to hold it down. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Also is there a discus thread anyone knows about? I want to read up on what people are doing with them and to read Up on possible tank mates for them for my 150g.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:43 AM   #2
Ichthyophile

I can tell you a little about discus. They are pretty mellow and I've had them in with tetras and angels with no problem. They do like warmer water, though, 82+F, and I find that they do much better in a tank by themselves.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

So if i do discus in a 150gal. You would recommend to only do discus fish?
Old 04-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #4
Ichthyophile

That is what I would do but some people out cardinal tetras with them, making a nice combo.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could use a number of schooling fish. Cory cats are good as well. Snails, otocinclus, smaller plecos.

People have had success adding German Blue Rams. Especially in a larger tank such as yours.

Some even mix angelfish with them as they live together in the wild......although there's mixed feelings on this due to aggression from angels during spawning.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
You could use a number of schooling fish. Cory cats are good as well. Snails, otocinclus, smaller plecos.

People have had success adding German Blue Rams. Especially in a larger tank such as yours.

Some even mix angelfish with them as they live together in the wild......although there's mixed feelings on this due to aggression from angels during spawning.
I really wanted to add some angles however I am still on the fence because the controversy on the subject. One thing i am baffled is the ability to add cardinals or neon tetras. Wont the discus eat them? I would think they would because they around about snack size for them. Also, what about maybe some denson barbs? Or would they outswim the discus to death? I have seen videos with them in the same tank, however the tank was huge. 220gallons i believe.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:49 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cardinals seem to be preferred over neons. I don't think they are a problem.

I'm not sure Dennison's are temperature compatible with discus

Tags
ate, discus, discus fish, fish, mate, question, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com