Suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay children, don't make me turn this forum around! We will go right back home!

Relationship between tetras and tiger barbs isn't important. What is important is that tiger barbs are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. Even in a sizable school they can be nippy and aggressive towards other fish thus stressing them out potentially causing sicknes and disease. I've seen this behavior in multiple tanks with schools ranging from 5 - 15

As for canister filters being nitrate factories, the effect is greatly overstated. There is soo much nitrate production in fresh water tanks the effect is negligible on nitrates even in a filthy canister filter. It is more of an issue in saltwater however.

Oh I'm sorry, they're a close relative to tetras, and your wrong saying filtration doesn't contribute to nitrates..if you don't maintain a canister filter the right way, which most people won't, it can highly contribute to nitrates. So before you put someone on blast why don't you look things up. Oh yeah, and barbs killing tank mates? As I stated if you keep them in a group there a lot less aggressive and will leave others alone..I know many people who have schools of barbs with not problem. So before you the wrong advice against someone else giving advice, stop and check things next time.

Okay children, don't make me turn this forum around! We will go right back home!

Relationship between tetras and tiger barbs isn't important. What is important is that tiger barbs are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. Even in a sizable school they can be nippy and aggressive towards other fish thus stressing them out potentially causing sicknes and disease. I've seen this behavior in multiple tanks with schools ranging from 5 - 15

As for canister filters being nitrate factories, the effect is greatly overstated. There is soo much nitrate production in fresh water tanks the effect is negligible on nitrates even in a filthy canister filter. It is more of an issue in saltwater however.

I was going to respond saying exactly that ^^^ but Mebbid said exactly what I wanted to say.

But seriously, chill out. I said that "tiger barbs aren't tetras", which is true, and that your filtration "doesn't really make a difference" in nitrate production. The point is, as Mebbid said, it makes a tiny difference, but barely one to be noted especially when you make such a rash statement as "it is common knowledge that canister filters are nitrate factories", making it seem like it is totally obvious that canister filters produce tons of nitrate. :nono:

Sorry didn't mean to take it so personally, yes the canisters are controversial, more so with saltwater but one is really not necessary for a small tank. Your experience with barbs and my experience obviously differs and does not make my suggestion of barbs a bad suggestion. I've had numerous schools of barbs with no problems.

Sorry didn't mean to take it so personally, yes the canisters are controversial, more so with saltwater but one is really not necessary for a small tank. Your experience with barbs and my experience obviously differs and does not make my suggestion of barbs a bad suggestion. I've had numerous schools of barbs with no problems.

Actually, my experience with barbs was fairly good considering the circumstances. Before I new much about the hobby I had 4 of them in a 10 gallon with 3 neon tetras and 4 black skirt tetras. They only killed the neons! Woohoo! :D

But yeah, I just thought that there was a big difference between most tetras and tiger barbs.

And actually, although it's unorthodox, I have a canister filter on a 10 gallon tank, so this isn't too small at all!

Hi, I was wondering where this statement originated from and mainly why the issue for sw? Background is I have a fw tank with canister filters but would like to have a sw tank eventually. It looks like sumps are the way to go but I'm still learning and researching before I buy.

Hi, I was wondering where this statement originated from and mainly why the issue for sw? Background is I have a fw tank with canister filters but would like to have a sw tank eventually. It looks like sumps are the way to go but I'm still learning and researching before I buy.

SW systems are much more sensitive than freshwater tanks. For example a 20ppm nitrate level in a reef tank can be a serious problem whereas nitrate levels in a freshwater tank can be ignored until they hit 40+. Water changes are a big reason for this; in a freshwater tank if things start going downhill a few extra water changes will fix most problems. Whereas in saltwater tanks the water changes aren't about reducing nitrates as much as replenishing nutrients. Any source of extra nitrates is a potential problem because of this.

They sell filter media at the store..why would you want to take out the carbon?

Most people here agree that it is useless unless you removing medicines from your tank...

I was thinking ceramic rings.. should a 300g or a 500g bag fit/fill the space?

Got my ammonia from ace. Janitorial strength. I'll be ferrying my test kit and other stuff tomorrow via FedEx.I put in 4 drops of ammonia in the tank so that there's at least something

Here is my stocking list: aquadvisor.
Please give me feedback.. Also I need to know what I can put in the chemical basket of the fluval c3 thats not chemical media since i dont need that.

Thanks,
-1998golfer

Here is my stocking list: aquadvisor.
Please give me feedback.. Also I need to know what I can put in the chemical basket of the fluval c3 thats not chemical media since i dont need that.

Thanks,
-1998golfer

I'd either use sponge or ceramic noodles/stones and just try it versus the flow rate you want. I've found filling the space with wool reduces the flow too much.

I'd either use sponge or ceramic noodles/stones and just try it versus the flow rate you want. I've found filling the space with wool reduces the flow too much.

Ceramic rings? I can get some off eBay pretty cheap. Should 300 grams be good or should I get 500 grams? Or even more?

I could get what's at http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=261142959566 and use the bio balls to fill in the rest if the ceramic media didn't fill it.also I could use the carbon just on case I do need it to remove meds or something

Back
Top Bottom