Suggestions for cleaning a new tank please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catalina

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, now that my 10 gal has finally cycled, I have of course acquired a new tank. (I know many people here can sympathize with me on this addiction.) It belonged to a friend of mine, and is a 29 gal Eclipse. I am thrilled, but the only thing is that she must not have cleaned it before she put it into storage because the glass is coated with grime. I need some suggestions on how to clean it. I have heard that steel wool is harmful to aquarium water or something? What kind of sponge should I use, and should I clean it with bleach? Would that get the gunk off of it? My boyfriend has offered to help me clean it, but told me to ask on here what the best way to do it was. Hahahaha, he's actually telling me to go on this site! :!:

I didn't know it was an Eclipse tank, and I thought it was just going to have a hang on back filter. But it has a biowheel filter, as I suppose many eclipse tanks do. I know this is superior filtration, but I do not know anything about this type of filter. If anyone can give me some suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Also, I am going to seed this tank w/ gravel from a cycled tank. (Not just seed it actually, but cover half the tank in gravel from an already cycled tank.) Does anyone have any other suggestions for introducing ammonia? I am going to Hawaii in a week, and I will be gone for 2 weeks. It would be great if the tank could cycle while I'm gone, and then I could put fish in when I get back :D .

i'm no expert....but i think it might be tricky to have it cycle while you're away since there's no real set time frame on the cycle...

you could add an ammonia source before leaving, if that source runs out before you get back, any bacteria that would've colonized will have died off.

maybe someone has some better suggestions though! Good luck!

Great hook-up on the tank, Catalina! The 29 gallon Eclipses are nice. I'd probably replace the bio wheel (they're cheap; around $5) because its hard to say what condition its in after sitting for a while.

I'm curious to see what suggestions you get for cleaning a tank as a friend of a friend has a bunch of medium sized tanks not in use and we're considering buying one from him. I'm a little leery about it since I don't know the proper way to clean them either.

Hard water deposits can be removed by wiping it down with vinegar and scrubbing with a paper towel or sponge. If the deposits are really tough, a razor blade can be used to carefully scrape them away.

Others may have a differing opinion but I always 'sterilize' a used tank with a water/bleach solution. The bleach will kill practically any leftover parasite, algae, or bacteria left in an empty aquarium. Just be sure to rinse several times and continue rinsing until you no longer smell bleach in the tank.

When I got my 75 gal tank it was a gunky mess too! I didnt even think it would be usable. At first I was going to use CLR to clean it but was worried about what the chemicals would do to the fish. I ended up having my hubby carry it into the house and I sat in front of the tv with a yellow plastic scrapping wedge that I had got at a kitchen supply store ( you use them to scrap gunk off of your counters). With the scrapper and a bit of tap water I just kept at it. When I was finished I was surpriesed at how well it came out. I didnt think the hard water spots would come off. I dont know if it would work on your tank but I would suggest trying to do a basic cleaning first and then assess how bad it is. Good luck!!

Stacie

Okay, this is something I actually know! LOL I've been reading alot on the "tank care" subject and here is what I've learned.

1. Never use chemicals to clean a tank! They are dangerous, especially bleach. Sometimes even when the smell is gone a residue can remain attached to the walls.

2. Plastic, kitchen type scrapers and razor blades are Great for cleaning. (of course they should be new and only used for the purpose of tank cleaning.)

On the bio-wheel subject...

Everything i've read and everyone I've talked to says these are the superior filtration systems. I have one on my 20g and it is fantastic. Along with superior filtration it also keeps a constant circulation of water which helps with the oxygen level high.

Since you have a used one you will have to change the following items:
1. The wheel. This is where your bacteria live so you need a fresh wheel since it has sat for awhile.

2. The Filter Cartridge. All bio-wheels use Rite Size Cartridges. Of course the size you need depends on the model you have.

3. You may have to change the Impeller/Magnet Assembly. This is what helps the entire unit function and it can be easily damaged or gunked up.

If you're completely confused, take your unit to a reputable lfs and they should be able to tell you what model you have and whether or not you need to just toss that and buy a new one.

Hope I helped. Have fun and Good Luck! :lol:

I have very hard water where I live. I use marine salt to clean the mineral (white crap) deposits off the tank. I just put a little salt on the soft scrubber portion of a wet sponge and just rub a little. It cleans very well and is safe for the fish ( no harsh chemicals) :)
But, this may be too abrasive if your tank is an acrylic type. I saw some special (fish safe) tank cleaner for acrylic in Petsmart :idea: Maybe that might work?

Thank you so much for all the suggestions everyone! Luckily, it is not an acrylic tank, as I know I would have to be extra careful not to scratch that. (It would have made it a lot easier to carry up three flights of stairs if it had been acrylic though!) I'm wasn't sure what the gunk on the glass was, but thanks to Hollieo's description of "white crap," I think they are probably mineral deposits. I'm going to try using salt and a sponge and scraper, and do it in front of the TV this weekend. I didn't think of the TV idea either, that will definitely encourage my bf to help me :lol: . How long did it take you to clean your 75 gal, Stacie?

I also didn't know that I was going to have to change the biowheel. Maybe I will just bring the whole thing into my LFS, and ask them what they think I need. I'm happy to have the filtration, but it looks quite complicated compared to the filters in my other tanks.

Just one more thing Catalina... :idea:
I aquired a 50 gallon glass tank in the most horrible condition. It had everything from moss looking algae to white crusty crap... EVERYWHERE!!
It looked like it was going to be a nightmare to clean... and can you belive that animals were actually living in there!?!?!
Anyway, I took all the animals out to make cleaning easier.
I bought a pack of flat sponges (the ones with green scrubber on one side and sponge on the other) from the $.99 store and some Marine salt for like a dollar at the Grocery store (usually in the baking isle... make sure it is not table salt with Iodine in it :wink: ). I then got a little bucket with warm water and the sponge with salt. I just sprinkled and scrubbed for about 20 minutes and it was beautiful!!! I couldn't belive it. Try it! It is cheep and doesn't take long and SAFE TOO :lol:
Hopefully you are able to rinse out the tank with a hose or something outside.... cuz' that part gets a little messy in the house.... If it is a large tank :wink:
Good luck!!! I am sure your tank will look great!!!

Hollieo, I have crystalized sea salt that I bought to put in the tank of a sick gourami a while back. Will that work? It doesn't have iodine in it.

It is such a relief to hear it only took 20 minutes to clean your 50 gal!!! I was thinking this was going to be an incredibly long, exhausting project. I will definitely try this method. Thank you so much. :D

Theoretically, I COULD take it outside to rinse with a hose... but that would involve carrying it back down three flights of stairs and then back up again. I think I'm just going to rinse it out in the bathtub, which I know will be messy, but that's ok. I'll update you guys this weekend, and let you know how it turned out.

The sea salt says FINE crystals if that makes any difference btw.

I am not familiar with the Crystalized sea salt, but if it doesn't have the Iodine then it is A-Okay for the fishys. :lol:
GoodLuck with the project. I am sure it will end up easier than you think :p

sea salt = salt from the sea. It should work. It's what I use. The only difference in the fine crystals is that (duh) the crystals are smaller, but I really don't think that'll make any difference in a fishtank (maybe if you're baking cookies, though! :p )

alternatives to sea salt (which contains not only sodium chloride but also several trace metal and non metal salts)

kosher salt - certified as very pure salt it has a larger grain size and is difficult to dissolve in cold water

pickling salt - finer grain size than kosher, but still pure salt as long as you get the unspiced kind. dissolves a lot easier than kosher salt in cold water

both are a lot cheaper than sea-salt, and since you're just using it for cleaning, the extra metal and nonmetal salts in sea-salt have no benefit.

-----

as for bleach - don't be afraid to use it ... just be sure you're using regular old cheap bleach, not ultra or extra whitening or stain lifting or anything like that ... pure chlorine bleach won't leave a residue - it is the extra chemicals they add to it that leave the residue :(

also chlorine will readily evaporate into air, so after washing your tank with bleach water (at least 10 parts water to 1 part bleach) give it a good rinse and let it air dry ... almost all the chlorine will be gone by then ... any residual smell is just from a gas layer trapped in the tank - filling it with water will dispel the gas.

if you want to be extra safe, after filling the tank with water, add an extra dose of dechlorinator.

Back
Top Bottom