Suitable fish for 23l fluval edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kezzad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just bought a 23litre/6gallon fluval edge tank and it's going through fish less cycle. I've been told 2 weeks but I have read it takes longer? I wanted a betta fish but it seems this tank is not good for that fish! I fancy some neons can anyone advice what ICan have with them? I wanted something a bit different?
Thanks

There's some debate about bettas in Edge tanks. It can be done; keeping the water line lower can help. When the water is raised, some betta find the opening fine, others freak out and can't. It'll largely depend on your particular betta but leaving the water line lower can probably help that issue a lot. Otherwise that size tank is a bit limiting (like most small tanks). Most tetras, danios and rasboras (including neon tetra) are very active fish so would appreciate more horizontal swim space. You could do an all shrimp tank, or some nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora or celestial pearl danio (you could do the nano fish with the shrimp too; they might eat the baby shrimp but should leave the adults alone).

Thanks for your post! I will look into nano fish. I don't fancy all all shrimp tank but a mix would be good. I'm completely new to this so thanks for your suggestions :fish2:

Shrimp and Nano fish appreciate plants. They need places to hide or they won't feel confident. You can mix fake and real if needed. Your tank has a crappy light but Java Fern might live :)

Lots of people upgrade the light later if you want other plants.

:fish2:I've only got plastic plants and some rocks and stones plenty of places to hide out. Do they have to be real plants?
What about neon tetra or rummeynose?

I wouldn't do either of those in a 6 gal; they are small but active swimmers and they will probably feel cramped in there.

Yes both are very active! And need at least 6! I think 3 scarlet badis could work, or Mabye 6 galaxy rasbora. Plants, I believe Anubis, java fern, and onion plant all would grow in te light you har

Yes both are very active! And need at least 6! I think 3 scarlet badis could work, or Mabye 6 galaxy rasbora. Plants, I believe Anubis, java fern, and onion plant all would grow in te light you har

Scarlet Badis need heavily planted tanks if you want three. Very territorial towards each other. Not a schooling fish. Also many only eat live food, the live plants and Shrimp help provide extra things to eat ( most plants have some tiny creatures on them ). Not what I consider a beginner fish.

5 or 6 CPDs aka Galaxy Rasboras can work.
They are very shy and nervous if they don't have plants to hide among. IME.

At least a Betta knows its owner and will beg when it sees you.
Cherry Shrimp are amazing. I loved watching mine. The babies are super cute as well.

Oh sorry, I thought they do best in 1 m to 2 f. Guess not. Look up the cpds. Or galaxy rasboras, they are amazing fish! I'm bit sure if they could coexist with rcs

Oh sorry, I thought they do best in 1 m to 2 f. Guess not. Look up the cpds. Or galaxy rasboras, they are amazing fish! I'm bit sure if they could coexist with rcs

If you can find females. Around here they are rare. And still need hiding spots because Male is bossy. They act like mini Bettas. Lots of attitude for their size towards each other.

CPDs and Scarlet Badis can live with adult RCS but will pick off babies.

So real plants if you want Shrimp. Real plants also best for nano fish. Bettas love real plants, but can handle silk plants if needed ( bad plastic plants can have sharp edges and tear fins ). My Bettas like to lounge on the plants sometimes.

No Neons, Black or Regular. Rummynoses are even larger.

Ember Tetras or dwarf Rasbora species might work, but like I said not always the best fish to learn on. Research before you buy.

Thanks all for your advice although I'm still unsure what to get as everyone had different opinions? It's confusing! I'm going to read up some more and talk to my lfs too.
I have a filter but would an air stone help with oxygen too? Lots of forums say they have used on and their betta fish are very happy in an edge?

Thanks all for your advice although I'm still unsure what to get as everyone had different opinions? It's confusing! I'm going to read up some more and talk to my lfs too.
I have a filter but would an air stone help with oxygen too? Lots of forums say they have used on and their betta fish are very happy in an edge?

As long as you lower the water an Edge is fine. Doesn't have to be super low, just enough for a wider surface.

An air stone doesn't add oxygen directly. It does move water and the more the water comes in contact with the surface, the more oxygen it may absorb. But Bettas don't like too strong a current, so fine bubbles should be ok.

An airstone will NOT help a Betta. You can try lower water, then slowly raise it over days so you can see him find the opening. If he is struggling lower the water.

Bettas in Fluval Edge

I have a Fluval Edge with one Betta and two Corys, planted with Java Fern.
The fish are doing great. After two years with the Fluval, my experience is that a tank this size will do best with very few fish, 3gal/week water changes, and every two months, remove the Java Ferns and rigorously hoover the bottom along with at least a 2 gal water change. It's amazing how much crap finds its way to below the plants. This little tank can be easily overwhelmed by even a moderate bio-load. I keep the water level 1/4" below the top so the Betta can "breathe."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom