Sump Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys and gals, looking for some advice/help/tips for building and maintaining a sump.

I recently bought a 75 gal tank to upgrade for a happier home for my discus. I'm currently running a canister filter and was looking at upgrading to a sump for easier maintenance, better filtration and more bio media.

I'm going to build an overflow, haven't worked out the details on the math yet, with a 3D background to hide all the plumbing. I was going to buy 2 20gal long tanks at petco, one for the sump one to take apart for the glass. Here is the design I have made so far. Thanks for any advice! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1469536780.470861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm no expert but that looks like a solid design. If you run into any trouble down the road look at uarujoey on YouTube.

I would make the last chamber where pump is as big as possible...
This is so you don't need to top off the tank constantly due to evap.
I really limit the amount of baffles in my sumps ,but to each their own.I have sumped since the 80's....
Eshopps makes a nice new overflow ,but you need to drill the back of tank..
ESHOPPS | Eclipse L

Looks ok, but why don't you just buy a professional plexiglass sump? If you are determined to build your own, why buy two tanks and tear one apart for the glass. Just buy the glass you need separately. Frankly, for a bit more money, I'd get a commercial sump.

Hey guys and gals, looking for some advice/help/tips for building and maintaining a sump.

I recently bought a 75 gal tank to upgrade for a happier home for my discus. I'm currently running a canister filter and was looking at upgrading to a sump for easier maintenance, better filtration and more bio media.

I'm going to build an overflow, haven't worked out the details on the math yet, with a 3D background to hide all the plumbing. I was going to buy 2 20gal long tanks at petco, one for the sump one to take apart for the glass. Here is the design I have made so far. Thanks for any advice! View attachment 288234

Why buy a sump lots of ppl have when you can custom make it to your own likes. I custom made a 18 gal sump for a 55 gal tank. Looks good only input I got is like stated above need a bigger pump chamber. It generally the largest chamber in sump. And what kind of bio media you planning on using? And you can go with tearing apart the second tank for the glass or go to hardware store or aqual glass store(where I live in MN it was arrow head glass co.) The glass store also cut it for free to all the sizes I needed for baffles. Also one more thing planted or fake plant main tank?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thinking of ceramics or lava rock(cost). I haven't reached out to glass companies to see the costs. Display tank is going to start lightly planted to start, then hopefully to be fully planted. Trying to keep the costs down to a low as possible.

May I suggest a algae scrubber/refuge. Keeps cost down. Just graven and rocks to tie plants down. Then when you need to trim plants in ref. You can move clippings to main to fill in more spots or vis versa. I run mine opposite of main tank lighting to control PH better and to not deal with co2 on off stuff.

Not a problem here's my sump for reference. Sorry for the mess and quality this was design and test phase. Gravel is my bio media and mechanical cleaning with some floss just to make sure. Then into refuge. Bubble trap. Water bridge (3 3/4 PVC Cuz I didn't want to drill tanks) then into return pump and heater storage tank holding 5 gal of water. I turn tank over 5 times an hour easy with 475 gph at 4 foot head

Attachments

• 1470844110705.jpg
    1470844110705.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1470844138803.jpg
    1470844138803.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 68
  • 1470844152233.jpg
    1470844152233.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 55
That is great, thanks so much. I've been asking everyone on what works and doesn't work to get the best design.

Little bit of trial and error. Its pretty hard to screw up just leave an inch or so between top baffle and top of tank for play room. Water always trys to level its self. Any other ?'s or ideas stick them up others will pipe in later hopefully with more ideas for you

Hey trkchezz I just thought about it today topping off the tank. And thought you might wana know but you might have some really bad evaporation with a sump. I keep my house at 68° year round and the tank at 78°-80°. I lose an easy gallon of water ever 48 hours to evap. The up side i can do a smaller water change then 35% Cuz of always adding water daily. Not trying to turn you off from idea just thought you might wana know if you pay for water/ de chlorinator

I knew that I would lose some water, but not a gallon in two days wow!!! Thanks for the tip

Depends a lot on humidity and temp in house and tank temp. Seal/cover what can. No prob good luck eh

I have a 110 gal with sump (should be the same footprint as your 75 gal - 48"x18") and I get about 1 gal a day evap in Canada (just north of Seattle) where temps are kinda low and humidity is high. I believe an ATO is an absolute.

I also have a heavily planted sump on an opposite lighting schedule to manage nitrates and balance daily pH swings.
I raise fry in the sump so a sponge filter before the return section is required.

Back
Top Bottom