Switching from gravel to sand!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is going to be cloudy for a bit even if you rinsed it completely. Let it settle for a couple hours if you can before running your filter to keep any large grains from getting into the impeller.

As long as you don't have a film floating on the top of the water then you rinsed it enough.

No film, just looks like there's smoke inside the water lol.

No film, just looks like there's smoke inside the water lol.

wait about 30 min-1 hour to let it settle then turn on filters....also you can take a net across the surface if you see some floating also most filters you will hear if sand is getting in there (I can tell with mines)...

I'd suggest running a prefilter for a little while. Some pillow batting (polyfiber) wrapped around your intake will work wonders on keeping sand out of your filter. Even being limited to doing it in the house, I would've used a pillow case and did it in the bathtub. I've washed 100+lbs of sand in buckets and then I did another 100lbs for my 75g, sooo much easier in a pillow case.

Just dump about 20lbs in a case, spray water in, stir with your hand, stop when the water runs crystal clear out the bottom. Add a plate or lid to the top of the sand and pour your water on the plate so it doesn't stir up the sand. Should have no cloudiness at all.

Good luck and keep us posted! :)

Still a bit cloudy but clearing up nicely. So glad I made the switch! Most of the fish are still hiding.

Attachments

• image-1994683647.jpg
    image-1994683647.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 128
Looks Good!

Any plans for live plants? Are you using carbon in your HOB filters? That will help with the cloudiness also!

Yes carbon is in my cartridges, wanting to get away from it though. I'm wanting to try planted here pretty soon.

Yes carbon is in my cartridges, wanting to get away from it though. I'm wanting to try planted here pretty soon.

Carbon is good to clear up water and does a great job! I used carbon for a while in my tank because my driftwood was still releasing tannins after weeks of boiling it! I took it out once I was happy and now use liquid ferts that would have been eliminated by the carbon anyhow.

Once your water is to your clearity it isn't needed IMO. Live plants help a tank lots and look great too! Just remember to use ferts if you do. Fert tabs work great in the sand.

Carbon is good to clear up water and does a great job! I used carbon for a while in my tank because my driftwood was still releasing tannins after weeks of boiling it! I took it out once I was happy and now use liquid ferts that would have been eliminated by the carbon anyhow.

Once your water is to your clearity it isn't needed IMO. Live plants help a tank lots and look great too! Just remember to use ferts if you do. Fert tabs work great in the sand.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully I can get some plants in the next few weeks!

Water is completely clear now :) just walked in the living room and all of my cories were out exploring in the sand, they sure are enjoying themselves :) my bronze cories spaz out anytime I walk by if their out and swim off to hide. I've never seen them all out like this even at night before when I had gravel. So glad I made the switch, even my husband likes the tank even more! Tomorrow I'm going to my friends house to her creek to try and find me some rocks, hopefully some driftwood of some kind too, to put in the tank too.

See these pics is making me lean towards replacing my gravel with sand. Definitely looks a lot better.

Thanks for all the tips in the thread :)

Still a bit cloudy but clearing up nicely. So glad I made the switch! Most of the fish are still hiding.

Your tank is looking lovely.....hope you find that special dw and rocks.....I am wanting some medium sized flat but round rocks.......good luck...oh btw I am so glad your cory's are happy about their new sand bed(y)

Your tank is looking lovely.....hope you find that special dw and rocks.....I am wanting some medium sized flat but round rocks.......good luck...oh btw I am so glad your cory's are happy about their new sand bed(y)

Found some rocks today as well as some wood :) also went to LFS for a thermometer, and I decide to give a live plant a try! Got a banana plant. They lady working said she had one and hers did really well. Hoping it does for me too!

Found some rocks today as well as some wood :) also went to LFS for a thermometer, and I decide to give a live plant a try! Got a banana plant. They lady working said she had one and hers did really well. Hoping it does for me too!

Great! Now comes the part where you get to try and figure out what arrangement looks good or you like the best. Took me many times of moving crap to love it. LOL

+1 it is very easy and quick to clean....the cory's also will shoot the sand through their gills neat to see but I have to be closeup on the tank to notice (use a magnifying glass to really see it)..lol....can't wait to see your pics

I was just watching one of my cories and I saw them shooting he sand sand out their gills! So
Cool!

Yeah, it's quite a site to watch them. What else is in your tank? Have you boiled your driftwood yet?

Well it's not driftwood exactly, just a piece, a flat piece at that lol, of wood I found in my friends creek. I did the vinegar test on everything and nothing bubbles thank goodness.

Well it's not driftwood exactly, just a piece, a flat piece at that lol, of wood I found in my friends creek. I did the vinegar test on everything and nothing bubbles thank goodness.

Did you give it the "sink" test? LOL Gotta make sure that it will sink! Floating wood does you no good. ;)

Did you give it the "sink" test? LOL Gotta make sure that it will sink! Floating wood does you no good. ;)

Yes it sinks! It was a piece I found in the creek so it was water logged anyway. Its not going anywhere either way, this is how I have it in the tank; a couple rocks on the right are on top of that end of it, I wanted one end of it to be sticking up so the fish had something to swim under :)

Attachments

• image-2420557086.jpg
    image-2420557086.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 68
Looks great! I love to have places for the fish to swim under the wood when I set it up. Actually just got back from pet store and found myself another sweet piece to add to one of my tanks.. :brows:

Back
Top Bottom