T5 fluorescents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yes? No? Any opinion? Have a 36" long acrylic 50 gallon show tank...so I'm thinking 36" long T5 lights...give me your thoughts!

...uhh... What do you want to do? Do you want high light? low light? medium light? Are you willing to do CO2? Are you planting? Lights are lights, it just depends on how much you have. Your question is unanswerable.

give me your thoughts!
hmmm.... im hungry

Just kidding.

Like Crepe said... what exactly are you wanting to do with the tank. This isn't the planted tanks forum, so I'm guessing you're not planting it? If not, IMO you're wasting money if you buy T5 or T5HO lights. Just a simple hood/light combo provides plenty of light, and won't present as much of a problem towards algae. IF you're going planted, thats a completely different story. Need some info to be able to accurately answer the question.

Oh crap...lol! It's going to be a community tank, but I also want live plants...what else do you need to know? Oh and I didn't realize T5 was different than T5 HO...I was lookin at T5 HO!

If you are going planted, then T5HO is the way to go .... However, depending on what plants you want, and how high tech you want to go (ie CO2, fancy substrate, fertilizers...) as to how many of the light you need.

A single 36" T5HO (that would be 39W) is good for low light setup, you can have 4 or more of those if you are going super-high tech.

Recent tests indicate that T5HO bulbs put out WAYYYY more par than we expected. 1 bulb with MIRO 4 reflectors should be enough for medium light if placed directly on top of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom