Tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jham9980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok....I need someone who really knows about this. Can bettas and mollies REALLY live in the same tank??? I'm hearing YES and NO! I've researched this and hearing two different answers. I need to know because I really want a betta fish to go along with my 3 mollies and 4 gold barbs. Please....someone with real knowledge of this and who has kept bettas with other fish before let me know. I love the way bettas look with their color and long fins and tail. I have a 20 gallon long aquarium. Thanks.

BTW, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think it really really depends on the betta. Not every fish is the same. I e had betas that could be with literally any fish and I have had some that HAD to be alone

Ok, its something's that I just have to try and see I guess...I wanted to try a female betta because I heard they are not that aggressive as the male bettas. Thanks!

Yeah. I know my answer wasn't that helpful on a yes or no.

Like I said I've had then go both ways. The one that was ok was with neons. Just stick to fish without really flashy fins. Guppys are pretty much never good because they see the tails and nip

I also had one with African dwarf frogs and they were ok

I thought molloes do best in brackish?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mollies do fine in either fresh or brackish.

I would be more worried about the betta as they are slow-moving docile fish that would ideally prefer slightly less manic tankmates. Mollies are boisterous and never seem to calm down, particularly when it comes to feeding time. If you do decide to get a betta keep an eye on its fins as mollies are not above taking a nip or two at slow moving fish.

I read that barbs are fin nippers. I'm in the same boat. I desperately want a betta but I have 2 dwarf gourami's and 2 mollies. I had a betta with mollies before I got my gourami's but the betta died. Not from Finn nipping or anything. It just died for no reason. I actually don't think bettas are a hardy fish at all. Die so easily in m experience and my water parameters are perfect. Sad cause I love them

Barbs are semi aggressive and should never be kept with bettas. Especially males. You could try a female but they're pretty calm fish and would be better with something less crazy than mollies and barbs

[emoji192]Hippo
[emoji216]Snickers, Kevin & Bacon
[emoji226]Grumpy Gills & Tramp + various pals
[emoji196]Webster

My betta is currently just with some shrimp (all kinds) but i have previously kept with harlequins, neons and even a couple of guppys without problem (all since moved to my bigger tank)
It really does depend on the fish himself, I must be one of the lucky ones :)

Back
Top Bottom