Tank mates for my Goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TXaquaFanatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone!
So I just recently won a goldfish at an carnival, wooo hoo! I have been wanting to start up a aquarium for awhile and my fiancé thought she would be funny and told me if I win the goldfish at the carnival I could start a tank! Ha well I showed her, We (more me) are now proud owners of comet goldfish, its name is Alvin! I have him in a ten gallon tank with a small rock formation and 3 small fake plants. I really would like to add some more life to the tank put am afraid of one, over crowded the tank and two my filtration system not being able to keep up. I am wanting something other than goldfish in there. So figured since I really don't know anything about all of this since I am new at it, I would join a board and ask for peoples feedback. My local fish store dude says I shouldn't add anything else to the tank because goldfish are really dirty, is this a accurate statement? I know they are known to produce a lot of waste but to isolate the little guy just seems unfair. Thanks for any suggestions! oh also I have had him for about a month now and was wondering if adding companions now is too late.

Your fish store guy is right. In fact, a minimum of 30g is recommended for goldfish due to their large size once adults and large waste capabilities.

Here's a chart that can help explain:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433774013.966186.jpg

If you set up like a 55g you could have some white cloud minnows and dojo loaches with him. That would make it a very lively tank.

Caleb

It's all good. We all have had those beginner mistakes. I'd really look at upping his tank size though. If not, water quality will go down without lots of water changes and stunting in his growth may occur. If a bigger home is not feasible of look at finding someone with a pond to give him to and we can help you with stocking some smaller fish that won't outgrow the tank.

Have you heard of cycling the tank?

Caleb

Yah I did a 48 hour fish less cycle before I put him in the tank. I could never give up Alvin, as he is my fiancé and I first pet (yah I am a sentimental sap :)) The hope is to one get a bigger tank but they are costly and I have no idea where I would put anything bigger than a 20 gallon tank in my apartment. The guy at the store said he would be fine in the 10 gallon as long as, like you said, I keep up on making sure his water is changed frequently. I am also looking into getting a new filtration system, I have a top fin 10 that I feel is probably like rock bottom quality. Though his water seems to be okay right now I feel like having a better quality filter will help me in the long run.

Can never over filtrate with goldfish, try looking at aquaclears for a new hob filter, I'm running two of them as well as a bio wheel, which is also a good filter, on my tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm guessing he told you about the cycle? 48 hour cycles do not finish that quickly without some seeded filter media or using an established filter from another tank. Period.

Most 30g are about the same width as a 20g just taller.

Next time you are at the LFS pick up a liquid test Kit. Not strips, the liquid one. It's much more accurate than strips are and can tell you what's going on in your water.

If it's a common goldfish you have, it will get almost as long as your 10g practically almost unable to turn around. That's why a larger tank is recommended. I would personally do x2 50% water changes a week. If water quality isn't improving do more.

Caleb

Can never over filtrate with goldfish, try looking at aquaclears for a new hob filter, I'm running two of them as well as a bio wheel, which is also a good filter, on my tanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
what exactly is a bio wheel I have seen this come up in a few post and am curious about it. I am all for adding things that I can to help better my little buddies life. My family keeps telling me I am making him feel like a rock star compared to his carnival home ha!

I'm guessing he told you about the cycle? 48 hour cycles do not finish that quickly without some seeded filter media or using an established filter from another tank. Period.

Most 30g are about the same width as a 20g just taller.

Next time you are at the LFS pick up a liquid test Kit. Not strips, the liquid one. It's much more accurate than strips are and can tell you what's going on in your water.

If it's a common goldfish you have, it will get almost as long as your 10g practically almost unable to turn around. That's why a larger tank is recommended. I would personally do x2 50% water changes a week. If water quality isn't improving do more.

Caleb
Yah he gave me some stuff called safestart and told me to bring a water sample back in 2 days and he would test it. which I did and he said all the levels were good to go. he is a pretty nice guy and said anytime I need my water tested to just bring it to him and he would do it for me, so I have not bought any testing stuff since I figured it would be better to take it to him since he knew what he was doing.

Yah he gave me some stuff called safestart and told me to bring a water sample back in 2 days and he would test it. which I did and he said all the levels were good to go. he is a pretty nice guy and said anytime I need my water tested to just bring it to him and he would do it for me, so I have not bought any testing stuff since I figured it would be better to take it to him since he knew what he was doing.

He has an idea, but the catch is safe start doesn't always work, on top of that it just helps the cycle not complete it. I would dare to say you are going to see some ammonia and nitrite levels soon in your tank.

Caleb

Most store employees are good people, but at the end of the day many of them don't know a lot about keeping fish and their job is being a salesperson.

Caleb

He has an idea, but the catch is safe start doesn't always work, on top of that it just helps the cycle not complete it. I would dare to say you are going to see some ammonia and nitrite levels soon in your tank.

Caleb
any suggestions of how to fix that if that does happen?

any suggestions of how to fix that if that does happen?

Well you will only notice it if the water is being tested or if it's extremely high and your fish is gasping from ammonia burns. That's why testing is so important especially during a cycle.

Water changes are the only and best way to clear out ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.

Think of it this way:

You have 0.50ppm ammonia. Doing a 50% water change will bring it to 0.25ppm. Make sense?

Caleb

Yah. I will go to the store and pick up a test kit and see what comes of it. Thanks for the advice

Alvin and his home

This Alvin and his set up. he is pretty happy in it and always swimming around. That's why he is blurry in his photo, I couldn't get him to stop swimming for half a second!

Attachments

• IMG_20150530_221801.jpg
    IMG_20150530_221801.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20150527_000712.jpg
    IMG_20150527_000712.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 71
I'd add more water then, you can go up the whole way to the frame and you'll need as much room as possible with that size tank

I am upgrading to a 45 gallon tank soon for my little guy and was wondering what y'alls thoughts of a small group of about 5 to 6 schooling fish with him would be? maybe some white clouds as previously suggested?

I am upgrading to a 45 gallon tank soon for my little guy and was wondering what y'alls thoughts of a small group of about 5 to 6 schooling fish with him would be? maybe some white clouds as previously suggested?

You could do white clouds yes. Trying to brainstorm some other coldwater fish... Mosquitofish are another.

Caleb

Those are actually pretty cool looking! Thanks!

Just be aware when Alvin gets bigger they may become a snack as they don't get very big ;) if you ever get a 55g 4ft tank dojo/weather loaches are the best fish you can own. They are coldwater and absolutely hilarious.

I have 2 currently.
Adult- Dr. dojo is 7 inches long.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434552576.191377.jpg
His kid barely tipping 3 inches.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434552620.361324.jpg

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom