tank on top of fireplace - - problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm planning an aquarium and I would like to place it on the mantle above a fireplace, but I want to make sure there are no problems with having it there. I am concerned about 2 things mainly, the weight and heat genererated by the fireplace. I have made a little illustration to help visualise it...

Weight:
I was planning on a 30-40 gallon tank (250 - 300lbs of water). it seems like it would work, the overhang has me a little worried, but 8" of the tank is supported by the brickwork, and 4" on the overhang... thoughts? experience? knowledge?

heat
I don't know how hot it gets there ( moved in a few weeks ago and in southern CA it's still hot this time of year) I cant imagine that it would get too hot, but I suppose I should start a fire and find out... anyone ever kept a tank in a similar location? There won't be fires too ofte, but defenitely on occassion when winter comes.

space issues
I was planning on using an eclipse system, so everything would be top-mounted, but in the event I go with an HOB filter, it would need to mounted on the side. Is this OK, or would it create dead zones in the water?

I have an opportunity to buy a 37 gal eclpise system with retrofit 96w PC lighting for $120 (more with a standif this set up turns out to be a bad idea...) that is 30'' long, 12'' deep, and I'm not exactly sure how tall, I think around 18" or so...

thanks, this place is great!

Attachments

• fireplace-fishtank_125.gif
    fireplace-fishtank_125.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 73
Well, it sounds like you don't quite have the details ironed out, and this could go either way as far as whether it's a good idea or not. You definitely have to start a fire in there and see how hot it gets... Why am I picturing the scene in Police Academy 2 in the Asian restaurant? -- "This fish is boiling!"

The big problem I see is that even if the safety/balance isn't an issue with regard to the amount of weight and the overhang, it still might have an awkward and treacherous look to it. It looks like you're saying the mantel itself is 12", only 8" of which is over brick. To look right, you'd ideally want a tank that's only 8" deep (front to back), but definitely no more than 10". I suppose that would have to be custom. I have a 5.5 gal. tank which is 8.25" thick, so there probably aren't many options for 30+ gal. tanks that thin. Even if a 12" deep tank didn't look bad, it's shifting the center of gravity to the very face of the brick, so you'd have to be sure it was structurally sound. I'd at least jump up and down on it a little.

Another problem is that I really don't see many people recommending Eclipse systems around here except a few people who are happy with the very small ones. Since you have to get the cords up there somehow, I assume you have some way of concealing them or making them look nice. If you can hide the power cord to the hood, you should also be able to hide the tubing to a canister.

I don't think a HOB filter on the side would be a problem as far as "dead zones" in the current. The current flows perpendicular to the filter, so I would think that there would actually be more even current with the filter output going across the top of the tank from the side

The bottom line is that putting an aquarium on top of your fireplace turns it into a serious attraction, so you'll probably need to spend a little extra on that kind of a centerpiece to be satisfied with it. I'd be looking into a custom tank to perfectly fit your mantel and a canister filter.

bubble bobble said:
I have an opportunity to buy a 37 gal eclpise system with retrofit 96w PC lighting for $120 (more with a standif this set up turns out to be a bad idea...) that is 30'' long, 12'' deep, and I'm not exactly sure how tall, I think around 18" or so...

37 gallons = 8547 in^3
8547 / (30 * 12) = 23.7" tall

Measurements are external, though, and gallons are internal, so if you account for 1/4" thick glass:

8547 / (29.5 * 11.5) = 25.2 + 0.5 = 25.7" tall

So that's a really tall aquarium. My 30 hex is only 25" tall.

Another interesting mathematical tidbit:

With a tank that size (12" deep and 25.7" tall, ignoring the height of the hood), the front of the shelf would have to fall 0.31" before the tank's center of gravity was in front of the brick support. That would be difficult to do accidentally, but since there would be more weight on the front edge of the mantel, you have to be really sure it's not going to give any with 37 gallons (309 lbs.) of water on it.

I would be a bit worry about the 4" overhang. The entire weight of a glass tank rests on the preimeter. You are relying on the top shelf to distribute 1/2 ot the tanks's weight to the back. The shelf need to be strong & attached firmly to the bricks (ideally you would want it cantilevered into the wall behind). Since the shelf is usually not meant to carry that much weight in the front, I doubt that it is held down with more than a couple screws. My worry is that it might sag a bit, that would throw your center of gravity ahead of the brick support and pull the shelf loose from its mooring & tip the tank over.

If you must try it, I would suggest putting a couple hundred pounds (bricks?) on the front edge of the shelf & test it out. You risk breaking the fireplace but at least not a flood.

I got the tank in the room, took one look with everything in front of me, and realized it was a bad idea... it's now set up on a stand. now I have to start the cycle and ponder what to do with it, I'm sure I'll post some more questions soon.

Thanks!

I've also heard of reports of a build up of carbon monoxide in a room with an open fireplace.

Carbon monoxide gets into the water on it's surface (as does oxygen) and causing some weaker or smaller fish to die.

A bit like sending the canary down mine shafts to detect gas.

Glad you decided against it. Too many potential issues. I would also think doing your regular tank maintenance would have been difficult (to say the least!)

Back
Top Bottom