Tank starting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TristanS1997

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. My wife and I have decided to start up a small aquarium. We want to start with neon tetras and cory catfish. I'm asking for advice on how to set up the tank, in such a way that both species will be happy. Thank you.

Hi all. My wife and I have decided to start up a small aquarium. We want to start with neon tetras and cory catfish. I'm asking for advice on how to set up the tank, in such a way that both species will be happy. Thank you.

Well the first rule is to always get the biggest tank you can reasonable care for. Larger tanks have more stable water. Personally I would aim at a planted 20 or 29 minimum to have a good setup.

A sandy bottom would be really nice and easier to clean and easy for the corrys as well.

I would say that a sand substrate would be best for Corys as I have heard of some instances of gravel being sharp and cutting off Corys barbels whilst they roam the bottom.. As mentioned above I would also recommend a planted tank! In my opinion the natural look is much more desirable :)

What should I set the temp at, how many plants/decorations should I put in the tank, how much sand/substrate should I use, is there any specific way of putting it in there, or should I just pour it in and make it even

What should I set the temp at, how many plants/decorations should I put in the tank, how much sand/substrate should I use, is there any specific way of putting it in there, or should I just pour it in and make it even

I set mine for 26 degrees Celsius not sure what that is in fahrenheit.

Regarding plants - you can have as many as you want, do you know what kind of look you want to go for? Just make sure there are plenty of open spaces to swim as well as hiding spots too!

Thickness of the substrate depends on what type you are planning on using, I would put anything between an inch to 3 inches (thicker at the back of the tank to make it more aesthetically pleasing!) but anything more than that is likely to get a bigger build up of harmful gas pockets.

Make sure you wash the substrate very very throughly! As if not you will have all sorts of bits floating around and your tank will be very cloudy for ages. :)

I set mine for 26 degrees Celsius not sure what that is in fahrenheit.

Regarding plants - you can have as many as you want, do you know what kind of look you want to go for? Just make sure there are plenty of open spaces to swim as well as hiding spots too!

Thickness of the substrate depends on what type you are planning on using, I would put anything between an inch to 3 inches (thicker at the back of the tank to make it more aesthetically pleasing!) but anything more than that is likely to get a bigger build up of harmful gas pockets.

Make sure you wash the substrate very very throughly! As if not you will have all sorts of bits floating around and your tank will be very cloudy for ages. :)
How do I go about washing the substrate?

How do I go about washing the substrate?

Grab a bucket, pour the substrate into it, add some warm water and start swirling it around. Pour out the murky water and keep adding fresh water then swirl again, repeat this until the water is clear.

If using gravel you can use a colander or sieve to drain the water out, however if using sand you just have to try and pour as much of the water out the bucket as possible without spilling the sand, then put it in the tank :)

Redneck clean sand method

5 gal bucket
Add sand
Stick garden hose in bottom of bucket
Let dirty water over flow
Get an adult beverage
Keep moving hose around in bucket till water is clear

Redneck clean sand method

5 gal bucket
Add sand
Stick garden hose in bottom of bucket
Let dirty water over flow
Get an adult beverage
Keep moving hose around in bucket till water is clear
Night shift redneck here....
Just got home, enjoying my adult beverage by the way, and I thought I was the only one who used this method. Lmao

Pool filter sand doesn't really need to be washed.
Can get by without but mine was clear in less than an hour after washing and filling tank. I'm a perfectionist, cloudy water for a little while bugs me.[emoji6]

I would wash....not all created equal. Much easier than when its in and you wished you would have.

Go for easy plants. Java fern and Anubias are tied to rocks or wood so you can easily rearrange. There are many kinds. Big and small.

Back
Top Bottom