Teach me how to aquascape!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bettasalltheway23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sorry, i know this doesn't really fit into the getting started category, but I want to get started learning how to aquascape. Right now I have what I'd call a moderately planted tank. I want to know how to make it less boring, and lifeless. Kind of like driftwood. But the thing is that the fake driftwood is so expensive. And I really can't fit that into my budget. And I just want the tank to look good. How should I place the plants, and how do I make the heater look less crude, and stand out less in the tank? Thank you everyone!:thanks:

How big is the tank? Can you post pics? I just try to make it look as natural as possible. I love driftwood, and I want to cover a piece in java moss. That looks pretty cool. You can place the heater low and at an angle on the back of the tank, and cover it up with plants, rocks, or driftwood. Put the smaller, lower plants in the front, the medium and large mixed in the back and middle of the tank, with a centerpiece (like driftwood, a pile of rocks, etc.) near the middle.

Sorry, i know this doesn't really fit into the getting started category, but I want to get started learning how to aquascape. Right now I have what I'd call a moderately planted tank. I want to know how to make it less boring, and lifeless. Kind of like driftwood. But the thing is that the fake driftwood is so expensive. And I really can't fit that into my budget. And I just want the tank to look good. How should I place the plants, and how do I make the heater look less crude, and stand out less in the tank? Thank you everyone!:thanks:

A pic of the tank will help. You have to remember a few things. Aqua scaping is like art. It's open to interpretation. There is no right or wrong BUT there are things or I should say ways to scape a tank to give that WOW factor and to give it the illusion of being bigger. When aqua scaping try and focus on the imperfections almost being random. Having things look "placed" is going to give it a well... Placed look. Also what type of look are you going for?

Here a my tanks to give you an idea of what I mean. My planted tank was very very random and chaotic. The African tank was a little more thought out because of the placement of all the driftwood while trying to maintain a natural look.

img_2520848_0_9c0d8fd31e1411616fa9800f5829779b.jpg

img_2520848_1_c67f7ea2c983ed08e7a93a288269bd1b.jpg

img_2520848_2_91073fb94c938a321da3440e4543e615.jpg

img_2520848_3_8aa8c2d2bd1546ec94184c6167dca0f0.jpg

img_2520848_4_3aa3f74ace3da350d4f2355a2048d568.jpg

img_2520848_5_8cbd5d4c63b22fba9eface470d01bf87.jpg

I want to go for a natural look. I like it when there are flat stones stacked in the back, but the problem is, I don't know where to get them. And the pic is my avatar.

my tank is my profile pic, i want a natural look, I like the flat stone look, kind of where there stacked up in the back.

I want to go for a natural look. I like it when there are flat stones stacked in the back, but the problem is, I don't know where to get them. And the pic is my avatar.

You can find rocks, stones, driftwood etc near a stream, lake, pond etc. just make sure to clean it good and boil the driftwood.

Once you have a vision then honestly its up to you. When scaping don't try and beat it all in one night. Take a step back and come back with fresh eyes at a later time.

Here's a good video I always reference to people. Watch it and really listen to the narration.

http://youtu.be/OZ0WBDcEWZE

You can find rocks, stones, driftwood etc near a stream, lake, pond etc. just make sure to clean it good and boil the driftwood.

Once you have a vision then honestly its up to you. When scaping don't try and beat it all in one night. Take a step back and come back with fresh eyes at a later time.

Here's a good video I always reference to people. Watch it and really listen to the narration.

'Through the Eyes of a Child' Aquascape by James Findley - The Making of - YouTube
How would I go about boiling a LARGE piece of driftwood?

How would I go about boiling a LARGE piece of driftwood?

Lobster pot is good, dishwasher works well. Of not just scrub it real well and soak it real good in boiling water changing the water often. The wood will leach tannins which isn't harmful just makes the water a tea color.

Tea color? Will it stain the silicone? And will I have to do water changes to get the color out?

With daily water changes, there shouldn't be much tea stain at all. Also, putting activated carbon in the filter helps take away the tea color.

If you wash in the dishwasher however, be mindful that most dishwashers now have rinsing agents that you will have to remove before putting in the driftwood.

With daily water changes, there shouldn't be much tea stain at all. Also, putting activated carbon in the filter helps take away the tea color.

If you wash in the dishwasher however, be mindful that most dishwashers now have rinsing agents that you will have to remove before putting in the driftwood.
I have a large cooking pot, ill put the fryer on low, and fill it with water. That should work right? Also, I have some hornwort plant. I was wondering if the driftwood has small holes, and crevices. Will i be able to put small parts of the hornwort in there to make it look like its growing through? or would the root system dry out?

Picked out a nice piece of driftwood today, but it wouldn't sink. So I soaked it in my kiddy pool... then my dog got to it, and chewed it to bits. But I looked online and saw that some people had some nice sticks/branches in his tank. I was wondering if the same rules apply for sticks and branches as driftwood. Also, it said that it may grow fungus. How would I prevent this?

http://youtu.be/OZ0WBDcEWZE

Great video! Definitely thinking of a different scape for my 150 gallon now.Anyone know what the tall red/purple background plants are in each corner?

Back
Top Bottom