Tearing down tank that's been standing for a month :$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy,

I was wondering if anyone could help me out a bit. I have 2 questions.

I started cycling 2 aquariums in January, a 15 gallon and a 29 gallon I hate to admit that I cycled with fish. In the 15 gallon I used 2 platties and the tank is now fully cycled and the 2 fishies are doing great. The problem is that in the 29 gallon, I used 3 platties from another store to cycle and they all died within a few hours of each other, about 2 weeks into the cycle process. Their fins all of a sudden got frozen stiff and within a few hours.. :(

1. So I am wondering, was the problem some disease, or were they already sick from the store?

2. Second Q. I got really sad after that, i wasn't sure if there was a disease in the tank or not so I didn't get any new fish to continue cycling from that point. I eventually shut off the filter and the water has been standing there for about a month. Yuck. Today I went out and bought some ammonia so I can do a fishless cycle this time but I don't know what I should do to tear down and disinfect/clean the aquarium now. It's all murky...All I did was siphon out all the water. What should i do next?

Thanks so much, sorry for the super long post!

There is never a guarantee that your fish will make it I would tend to lean towards the thinking that your fish died from ammonia poisoning in the 29g.

I would If I were you take everything out of the 29g and rinse it all off. Possibly even rinse it in a 10-15% bleach solution. Then rinse it really good again and add a little extra prime or whatever product you use. They bleach would guarantee that there is no disease in your tank.

If the tank had been sitting with stagnant water for a month, there may well be decaying stuff & possibly toxic gas buildup & other things that you don't want.

I would do a total tear down. I would remove all decorations & give them a good scrub in hot water (no soap!). Ditto for the filter - take it apart & clean out the impeller & all moving parts. I would ditch the filter media. <Unless you have a canister & using ceramic beads, in which case you clean & sterilize those for reuse.>

Next, remove the gravel. Put it in a colander & rinse with lots of water. <I would do that outside if possible.> It will be messy, but you want to get as much of the junk out as possible. <If you have sand, you need to do this with a bucket. Fill with water, stir, pour out water & gunk that had been stirred up, repeat .....>

Finally, wash & scrub the tank with hot water. Use vinegar to remove scales & other buildup.

Some people will then bleach everything after cleaning. <1:20 solution> This is good idea if there is a definite infection present in the tank, or if you have a heavy algae outbreak & want to kill everything. You would have to rinse very well after bleaching, and when all smell of bleach is gone, soak & rinse everything in a double or triple dose of dechlorinator.

Bleaching is quite labour intensive & messy, and you risk leaving residual bleach if you don't rinse well (& that would kill your biofilter ... so you have a stalled cycle). In your case, I don't think there is much risk of any nasties left after 1 month, so hot water is prob. enough. Bleaching is optional.

Once everything is cleaned, you can setup your shinny new tank & start cycling. Since you already have a cycled tank, you can seed the new setup with media/gravel from the old. This should greatly speed up the cycling. <Seeded properly, you can cycle in under a week.>

I don't think bleaching is at all labour intensive. In fact, it reduces the amount of other cleaning if you do it first. I bleach everything before reuse. A lot of smaller things like filters and small tanks I run through the dishwasher, with detergent.

Back
Top Bottom