Thought of something so I woulnd't have to cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went from a 10g to a 55g. My friend ran the new filter in his 55g for a couple weeks. I then moved half the water from the 10g into the 55g along with the fish. Granted, I have well water, but I didn't have any problems. My fish were fine ... but of course they were kinda used to being in nasty water, since I was terrible at keeping up in the 10g. I remember testing a few times in the first week and my ammonia and nitrites were a non-issue.

So, I think running your new filter in an established tank will definitely help. I'm sure moving anything from an established tank should help.

Well the one 55 I knew was coming didn't.The other may get here sooner now lol....but I'll get em both I tell ya <evil mts laugh fills the room>.

Either way something occured to me last night.I had asked about discarding the filter from my first cycle (first time ever changed out) and just swap it out.No floating or anything.Just a swap and trash.

Ultimately thats what I did...but with no blip in the test results.

I have no other media in the tank at all besides the gravel and plants and slate.

Something carried me through without even the slightest hiccup......so it must be the substrate me thinks.

Is it in it or on it I wonder.

edit....please assume I'm wrong...Just kinda thinking out loud.

Back
Top Bottom