Thoughts on Nite Out II?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know bacteria in a bottle is generally frowned upon here. But I have been treating my tank with Microbe Lift Special Blend on the recommended schedule. The owner at my LFS says he always uses it in his tanks and that it's great stuff. I haven't seen it help much so far. I'm two weeks into a cycle on a 10 gallon tank with a new Aquaclear 30 filter with plenty of biomax media in it. Still high ammonia with no sign of nitrite yet.

But my real question is about their Nite Out II product. It claims to have the actual nitrifying bacteria in it. I've tried using it a couple times with no results. Apparently some people have luck with it, others don't. But will it hurt anything to keep adding some every other day like they suggest? Or is there a chance it could interfere with the "real" BB trying to grow?

It's not really going to hurt anything, even if it doesn't help. Is this a different thing that you could purchase though?

I know bacteria in a bottle is generally frowned upon here. But I have been treating my tank with Microbe Lift Special Blend on the recommended schedule. The owner at my LFS says he always uses it in his tanks and that it's great stuff. I haven't seen it help much so far. I'm two weeks into a cycle on a 10 gallon tank with a new Aquaclear 30 filter with plenty of biomax media in it. Still high ammonia with no sign of nitrite yet.

But my real question is about their Nite Out II product. It claims to have the actual nitrifying bacteria in it. I've tried using it a couple times with no results. Apparently some people have luck with it, others don't. But will it hurt anything to keep adding some every other day like they suggest? Or is there a chance it could interfere with the "real" BB trying to grow?

My thoughts on bottled bacteria are that they don't work. I believe that people get frustrated that their cycle isn't moving after say 2 weeks then add the bacteria in the hope something will happen and it coincides with the natural bacteria working anyway and they think it's because of the bottle.

I've read many cases like this. If a company does manage to come up with a product that has the bacteria we need it will be a huge hit and you will know about it.

Most bottles contain heterotrophic bacteria and nutrients which may help bacteria to grow.

Since heterotrophic bacteria can nitrify ammonia etc, albeit very very slowly, technically they are not lying.

Thanks Threnjen and Caliban. I figure since I already have it in my fridge, I'll just go ahead and use it, as long as it can't hurt the process.

Back
Top Bottom