Too Many Rocks Possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjbass

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new to this hobby. I collected a bunch of rocks for my AGA 210 last night, but I was wondering if it is possible to overstock them. I just picked up a bunch of what I would call medium sized creek rocks for the bottom on my sand. I don't want to get to many in there that the tank glass couldn't take the weight? Is this possible?

i wouldn't worry about it as long as you have a nice sturdy, level stand for your tank. a 210 is quite large and can handle a lot of weight. maybe some pictures would be helpful? also, i'm guessing the rocks are fine and safe since they are from a creek, but if you want to be sure, you can drip some vinegar or acid (pH down is sulfuric acid and the #1 bottle of Nitrate test solution in API's kit is hydrochloric) here is a very helpful thread for this
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/river-rocks-rock-test-130944.html

wow, I never knew a little tank could hold so much, not worried about my 125g now lol
thank for the vid =)

Too many rocks for a small tank! Keep in mind that rocks take up valuable space that should be used for swimming fish. Also, rocks taken from local creeks are likely to have all sorts of pollutants from local sewage, street runoff, etc. and could also contain lime or other harmful minerals. Best bet for rocks is to buy them from a fish store instead of collecting them yourself. The above suggestion for chemically testing the rocks is excellent if you are determined to use locally-gathered pieces.

Wow that's a crazy awesome video! Love the Vivaldi music lol. I can't believe how strong tempered glass is lol.

Too many rocks for a small tank! Keep in mind that rocks take up valuable space that should be used for swimming fish. Also, rocks taken from local creeks are likely to have all sorts of pollutants from local sewage, street runoff, etc. and could also contain lime or other harmful minerals. Best bet for rocks is to buy them from a fish store instead of collecting them yourself. The above suggestion for chemically testing the rocks is excellent if you are determined to use locally-gathered pieces.

Sure, best to buy from a fish store if you feel like spending your life savings on a few rocks.

I prefer the natural rocks. It isn't that hard if you know what you are doing, and as TCool said, it saves you money.

Not to be Mr. Negative, but I didn't like the video. The tank wasn't supported properly, and that bugged me. Secondly, it was only a 10 gallon. That's a very small glass footprint. The smaller the plane of glass, the stronger it is. Of course bigger tanks use thicker glass, but still... I dunno, I'm tired. Maybe I'm tryin too hard to be the devil's advocate lol

Not to be Mr. Negative, but I didn't like the video. The tank wasn't supported properly, and that bugged me. Secondly, it was only a 10 gallon. That's a very small glass footprint. The smaller the plane of glass, the stronger it is. Of course bigger tanks use thicker glass, but still... I dunno, I'm tired. Maybe I'm tryin too hard to be the devil's advocate lol

I think the improper tank support was part of the point. Even with only the two edges supported, the weight was still fine.

Your argument stands as far as the smaller pane being less prone to breakage, though.

He didn't position the rocks optimally either lol.. Biggest to smallest in a pyramidal shape to distribute the load, and also the base wasn't supported that well. If there was some sort of pad or sand in the bottom, I'd imagine it would be stronger. In some class, we learned that if you scratch glass then fill the scratch with water, since glass is an amorphous solid, the atoms begin to float around or something and it makes the glass much weaker.. but I'm not sure about tempered glass though, his example was a glass stirring rod.

Yep, you're right - he purposefully did the experiment in order to show worst-case scenario. Stacked the rocks improperly, supported the tank improperly, etc. His point was that it still held.

Anyways.. I was hoping he would have gone till it broke. Now I'm interested in seeing how much it can hold.

On another note, I'm remembering something like glass tanks should only be supported on the frame and acrylic/plexiglass tanks should be supported throughout. Maybe this is why he only needed to put the 2 2x4's on the sides? I mean it's not the best, but I'm wondering if a plexiglass tank would do better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom