Total Newbie with lots of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Prime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, I'd like to start off by saying that I've been lurking here for a few days and I've already learned a lot.

Now, onto the questions! Some background information:

I just got a tank from my uncle, with most of the equipment already. (he doesn't know much about keeping a tank, and ultimately quit because of the hassle of upkeep) The tank is a 55 gallon long, with a HOB filter, and also has a UGF system. It already has lid/hood/lights and everything as well.

I only know what I've learned here, and very little from past experiences with tanks. I'd like to start off with a relatively low bioload to help me get used to taking care of my tank. I was thinking maybe a school of 6 or 8 small fish, and possibly a pair of larger fish (gourami, perhaps), and a pleco. Does this seem to be a reasonable bioload for a 55 gallon tank?

I'll be using artificial plants to start off, to keep things simple.

As for substrate, I still need to buy it, so if you have recommendations based on what I've already said. I have one 5 pound bag of gravel, but I'm not dedicated to using it at all. I noticed that it said on the back of the bag to add the gravel after the tank has been running for 24 hours. Is this necessary?

Thanks in advance for any and all guidance you all can give me. I really appreciate it.

Welcome to AA prime! You can set up the tank with everything but fish right away. I suggest a sand substrate, it looks sharp and is very easy to take care of. What kind of hob do you have? Your stock plan to start sounds good, but you will probably want to look into fishless cycling. There is a great article in the articles section of AA, check it out. Read that and let us know if when you have more questions.

As justrelax said please check out the fishless cycle, you will be glad you did, for the heartach saved from losing fish.

AND WELCOME TO AA

The stocking suggestions sounds good. For the pleco I would stick to a smaller species. Maybe a BN? Before you add these fish, cycle the trank. Check the articles section for information regarding a fishless cycle.

You don't have to wait to add the gravel. But if you are not set on having gravel, you may want to consider sand. That is as long as you ditch the ugf.

What kind of hob filter is on the tank?

Thanks for the information all. I forgot to mention that I already knew to go through a fishless cycle first, but I really appreciate that you reinforced that suggestion.

The HOB filter is an Aqua-Tech 30-60. I'm not sure the quality of this, and I'm willing to replace it if necessary.

I think I'll be putting sand in as a substrate, it seems like it will look better. Also, I'm not very familiar with plecos, but I do know that there is a species that can get up to roughly 18 inches. I want to make sure to avoid that one! Will just one pleco be okay for my tank, or should I get two?

I'll be sure to post lots of pictures once I get everything up and running. Thanks again, all.

That's great that you plan to go fishless. :)

I'd upgrade the filter. I'm not a fan of Aqua-Tech. If you want to spend a little bit more money, I'd go with a canister filter. They are worth every cent IMO. HOBs are still good, but IMO anything 40+ gal should have a canister.

One Pleco will be fine. Whateve you do, do not buy a pleco fro the lfs that is just labeled Pleco. Or Trinidad Pleco. Those are both the "common" name. Candystripes are my fav. Cute little guys but hard to find.

One pleco will be fine for your tank. They produce alot of waste, so it is best to start with just one. Later on, once you get the hang of weekly tank maintenance and want to increase your stocking, you could add another. Some smaller types of plecos are Bristlenose (BN), Rubbernose/Bulldog, and Clown plecos. Clowns are the smallest, next is BNs, and then Rubbernose.

The plecos that get over 18 inches is a common pleco. Pretty much every chain pet store and alot of LFS sell them. Usually they are just labelled as "Pleco" or "Plecostamus". They are all brown. Stay away from them. They get huge, even though in the stores they are 3-4 inches. You may have to do some searching for the plecos mentioned above. I'd check smaller local fish stores (LFS) in the area as they are more likely to have the other pleco types.

Usually its best to over filter tanks, so you may want to get a filter for larger tanks. I think that filter will be ok now, especially since you want to keep a low bioload, but eventually you'll have to upgrade. Aquaclear HOBs and Marineland are both good brands. I'd get a filter rated for atleast 75 gallons.

Another option is a cannister filter. I like the Rena brand cannisters and own 2 XP3s. One of them in on my community 55g and the other is on my African tank 55g.

55g tanks are great to start off with. You have many options for stocking. :)

justrelax said:
I suggest a sand substrate, it looks sharp and is very easy to take care of.

Sand is probably not the best choice for an under gravel filter.

Update and a question in this post:

Update: I ditched the ugf, got some substrate in the tank, and will be adding water tomorrow.

Question: Can I still use raw shrimp to start the cycle in a freshwater tank? I know the saltwater article recommended it, but I didn't know if it mattered that my tank was freshy.

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance.

Yep, the shrimp works great. Also, if you know anyone with an established tank try and score some gravel or better yet bio-media from them. You can put it in a nylon and jump start your cycle with it. It's called seeding.
justrelax wrote:
I suggest a sand substrate, it looks sharp and is very easy to take care of.

Sand is probably not the best choice for an under gravel filter.
Word.

Prime, you don't have to get a pleco. Lots of people will skip them and go with cories or snails or ottos... lots out there! Pleco's are super-cool though, and I really enjoy watching mine, so I say go for it! Bristlenose are really cool and don't get very big, so are the candies.

Congrats on ditching the UGF. They just trap waste and are more trouble than they are worth.

Yes, you can use a raw shrimp.

I could probably score some gravel to stick in a nylon from a friend of mine, I appreciate that suggestion. I'm assuming I should also put the shrimp in. Is this correct? Also, I want to put 2 shrimp in my tank (55gal), right?

I'm trying really hard to not screw this up, so I'm going to be as cautious as possible. I don't know what I'd do without you guys.

Yeah, in fact, put the shrimp in first so that ammonia gets a chance to show up. Then the nitrifying bacteria on the seeded gravel will have something to munch on :)
I used pure ammonia so I'm not sure on the number of shrimp. Go ahead and start with two, if your ammonia goes above 5 or 6 maybe take one out. Someone back me up here... I think you can actually prevent the cycle from proceeding by producing too much ammonia.

It looks like you're off to a great start! I have a 55 gallon tank and love it. I'm not sure where you're located but many Petsmarts will carry rubberlip plecos and they are relatively inexpensive (under $5). I would make sure that your pleco has a place to hide to keep his stress down. Also, you've probably read this already, but if you decide to go with a bristlenose pleco you need to purchase some driftwood for the tank. You also may want to look into buying some sinking algae wafers and shrimp pellets to supplement the pleco's diet.

Your idea of getting a pair of gouramis for your larger fish sounds nice. I have a lone blue gourami in my tank and he is great fun to watch. Overall, your stocking plan sounds great and it will give you some room to add a few more fish in the future when you're feeling more comfortable.

Be sure to post some photos when you've got everything set up!

Back
Top Bottom