Unusual nitrite reading during fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

light_angel_7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been doing a fishless cycle in my 10 gallon for the last 2-3 months. I've been doing a 50% - 70% water change every day to lower the nitrite and nitrate level to safer levels.

A few days ago when I tested the water I noticed that the nitrites disappeared and I had nitrates at around 80 ppm. I did a water change and added ammonia to the aquarium and when I retested 2-3 hours later it was showing that my nitrites returned at 2pm.

I tested the water again the next 3 days afterward and no nitrites were present until I changed the water and added ammonia. The nitrites and nitrates were lowering down with each water change.

Today I tested the nitrites after the water change and adding ammonia and my nitrites jump back to 2pm (It was .25ppm yesterday) and my nitrates are around 10-20ppm.

I tested my tap water for nitrites and it's reading 0ppm.

Is this supposed to be normal because right now i'm confused:huh:?

Why are you doing a wster change on a fishless cycle? All you should do is add ammo when needed

After 2-3 months the tank should be cycled or at least very very close. Only test every 24 hrs & see what you get. If you dose the ammonia to 2-3 wait 24 hrs then test everything. If you are getting 0 ammonia/nitrite, <20 nitrates you're cycled. If your nitrates are still around 80 you may need to do water changes 2-3 times to get them down.

3 months with 70% daily water changes? Sounds like complete torture.

Opps I meant to say I was doing a water change every day this week to get the nitrite and nitrate down to a safer level.

I tested my nitrites again and it's down to 0ppm again. I don't have a clue why the nitrites are disappearing and reappearing.

Just to make sure (not trying to ask an obvious question)...are you shaking the second nitrate bottle vigorously (hitting it on your hand as you shake it) for 30 seconds before adding to the test water, and then shaking the test tube for 1 minute then allowing it to sit for 5 minutes before reading the results? There are crystals suspended in the second nitrate solution that can settle so you have re-suspend them. Not following the instructions exactly can mess up results

Opps I meant to say I was doing a water change every day this week to get the nitrite and nitrate down to a safer level.

I tested my nitrites again and it's down to 0ppm again. I don't have a clue why the nitrites are disappearing and reappearing.

You have a larger bacterial population that will consume ammonia than you do nitrites. Therefore the ammonia is VERY quickly converted to nitrite and then more slowly converted to nitrates which is why you get a nitrite reading.

It should be safe to add fish, just do a 90% water change without adding ammonia and then wait a few hours before testing your water parameters. If everything looks good then go ahead and pick up some fish that same day.

Just to make sure (not trying to ask an obvious question)...are you shaking the second nitrate bottle vigorously (hitting it on your hand as you shake it) for 30 seconds before adding to the test water, and then shaking the test tube for 1 minute then allowing it to sit for 5 minutes before reading the results? There are crystals suspended in the second nitrate solution that can settle so you have re-suspend them. Not following the instructions exactly can mess up results

Yes, I have made absolutely sure that I was doing the nitrate reading correctly but it's the nitrites that are causing me concern not to nitrates.

The nitrates are now at 40-80 ppm so it is rising
Nitrites are still appearing when 1-2ppm of ammonia is added.
Nitrites are around 2-5 ppm when ammonia is added
Nitrites show up as 0ppm in 24 hours.
Ammonia shows up as .25-.50 after 24 hours

You have a larger bacterial population that will consume ammonia than you do nitrites. Therefore the ammonia is VERY quickly converted to nitrite and then more slowly converted to nitrates which is why you get a nitrite reading.

It should be safe to add fish, just do a 90% water change without adding ammonia and then wait a few hours before testing your water parameters. If everything looks good then go ahead and pick up some fish that same day.

Thanks, Mebbid, my only question is that would it be ok even after the ammonia level is reading .25 - .50 after 24 hours. My tap water also has an ammonia reading of .25 so a water wouldn't be able to bring the ammonia level down.

Ahh I thought you were reading 0 on it. There was a lot to read :) I would give it another week in that case.

Thankfully, with a cycled tank a .25 ammonia level in your tap won't hurt anything at all.

Back
Top Bottom