Upgrade questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know how to word these so bear with me here. If I were to upgrade my aquarium
A) what would be the fastest way to cycle the tank
B) move my gravel/plants out of the old one into the new one without hurting my fish
C) The tank I'm looking at is drilled for a sump but dosen't come with one... I could use my old tank but then what do I do with my fish? Is there a safe way to do a fish in cycle?

Details: old tank 20 gallons, "new" tank ( buying from another fish keeper in town) 50 gallons.
Current stock 3 female mollies, 3 fry in 20 gallon. 6 fry in my grow out tank and getting too big.
:thanks:

I don't know how to word these so bear with me here. If I were to upgrade my aquarium
A) what would be the fastest way to cycle the tank
B) move my gravel/plants out of the old one into the new one without hurting my fish
C) The tank I'm looking at is drilled for a sump but dosen't come with one... I could use my old tank but then what do I do with my fish? Is there a safe way to do a fish in cycle?

Details: old tank 20 gallons, "new" tank ( buying from another fish keeper in town) 50 gallons.
Current stock 3 female mollies, 3 fry in 20 gallon. 6 fry in my grow out tank and getting too big.
:thanks:

Swap everything over, done. No cycle needed.

Swap substrate over - If you want to.

Put all old media into new filter, or simply run the old filter on the new tank.

Just make sure the water parameters are similar before swapping over filter media.

That is surprisingly easy. Thanks, I may not end up getting that one but will definitely need a bigger tank.

In case you do stumble upon a drilled tank, add a bulkhead fitting if one is not present as well as a threaded cap. This will allow you to add the necessary plumbing for a sump in the future.

It was drilled and I could use my old tank as the sump but it didn't com with a lid, proper heater, lights etc.
I have birds in my fish room so a proper lid is a must. Last thing I wasnt in the fish water is bird poop so the egg crate idea goes out the window.

Another question. If I find a tank I like but my current stand is 0.5" too short, is that a problem?

One last thing. I'm torn between 2 different tanks. One is a 45 tall and only comes with the hood, lights and stand, the other is a 55 long that comes with everything but the stand. They are the same price and neither store has them in stock so I would have to order it.
Which would you choose? It's for my ever growing group of mollies.

One last thing. I'm torn between 2 different tanks. One is a 45 tall and only comes with the hood, lights and stand, the other is a 55 long that comes with everything but the stand. They are the same price and neither store has them in stock so I would have to order it.
Which would you choose? It's for my ever growing group of mollies.

55 for sure. The dimensions make it seem larger than it is, you'll love a 4 foot tank.

Thanks. I was leaning towards that one because it came as a kit.
I'm going to order it today and see if they carry the stand.

Thanks. I was leaning towards that one because it came as a kit.
I'm going to order it today and see if they carry the stand.

Where are ordering from?

Stands for a 55 gal should be easy to come across - Kjiji, FB marketplace, big store vendors, or a simple DIY stand is fairly easy to build.

Paulmacs, they are a branch off of petvalu. Petsmart only sells the tank/stand combo (tall tanks only).
The person helping me couldn't find a stand. Kijiji only has smaller or larger tanks with the stand.
I don't want to resort to building but I can dust off my old high school carpentry skills.

Last question. While waiting at the store I made the mistake of looking at the bettas and falling in love. I didn't get him (he was ice blue and had a cross on his head) but it did bring a question. Can a male betta be kept with mollies in a 55?
If not what are some other good fish that won't cause trouble?

Hello, it depends on temperment of fish. If I'm putting a betta in community tank I put him in a breeding net inside the tank he's going in for a couple wks. This way he gets used to activity of tankmates & they get used to him.
He'll flare for a while but eventually settle down. When you decide to release him leave net in tank hanging by one side in water so he has a safe place to retreat to. When you feel its safe for him & others you can pull net.
Be warned things can go sideways quickly. I put a baby fantail goldie in tank while setting its tank up & in a few hrs the betta decided he didn't like her & ripped tail fin apart. So be prepared to move betta if needed. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom