Use tank capacity or estimate of water volume for additive products amounts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris09

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is a general question. There are many products we put in our aquariums, water conditioner, ferts, balancers, other enhancers etc... For the ones that are added directly to the aquarium, they usually tell you something like "use 1 capful = 5ml for 50 gallon". I've got a 20G long heavy plant with drift wood and a thick substrate, so in my tank I think I have maybe 12-14 gallons of water. I tend to use 12 gallons as my amount when measuring out to stay on the safe side. Do you think this practice of discounting some of your tank capacity for all the stuff that displaces water correct? Is there any rule of thumbs to use?

Note - I haven't done a full water change and was not careful in the beginning to exactly calc the water I put in (duh) so that is why I estimate it.

I just use the full tank volume for everything. But the only products that I dose in my tank is prime, ferts, and glut none of which is dangerous if it's overdosed.

Other than that, you really shouldn't have to dose anything into your tank on a regular basis. But for that use the true volume.

I just use the full tank volume for everything. But the only products that I dose in my tank is prime, ferts, and glut none of which is dangerous if it's overdosed.

Other than that, you really shouldn't have to dose anything into your tank on a regular basis. But for that use the true volume.

Is glut necessary?

I use tank capasity for glut and ferts, I only water condition the water going in, nott he whole tank, and I obviosuly don't go cray on my 150g but a 20 isn't bad

I undercut for displacement reasons and then if need be work up to full tank capacity. Just my personal preference especially if the product is new to me and my fishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great responses though it looks like everyone covers the spectrum from adding based on how much water you have to adding based on the tank capacity. I think I am going to stick to using my water volume estimates vs tank capacity.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

Back
Top Bottom