Water changes – frequency and amount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purestar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have heard many different opinions and approaches to the frequency and amount of water changes for a freshwater set up. I know this depends on stock, but assuming one is not overly stocked, how frequent and how much water should be changed?
For the last month, I have been changing about half my tank's volume every week during the cycling process (adding Prime to the new water). Is this too much as I move forward? Can I reduce to once every two weeks or is it better to continue with weekly and maybe just one quarter or a third? Would it be better for the fish/plants if I continued with weekly 1/2 water changes? I’ve heard some people only do a WC every month. Is there any advantage to this approach?
Thank you!

The best rule of thumb (if there is one) is to keep your nitrates below 20 ppm. The heavier your stocking the more often you will have to do water changes to keep that number in an acceptable range.

Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like frequent and "significant" water changes are generally more favourable. I didn't know if it would upset the water chemistry or affect the good bacteria...

The key to successful fish keeping is clean water.The best way to accomplish that is frequent water changes. The minimum amount to change can be determined by testing for nitrate. Changing more than the minimum is to be recommended as it is virtually impossible to change too much water too often.

Back
Top Bottom