Water changing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99RedSi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I do a water change, should I remove the water, add the new water and then add dechlorinator?

Or should I remove the water, add dechlorinator to the water currently in the tank and THEN add new water?

And I assume I need to turn the heater off during this time (Ebo-Jager)?

Thanks!

When I do water changes I take out the water then the water I plan on putting into the tank I have in a bucket and I put the declorinator in the water in the bucket then after a little while I pour the water out of the bucket into the tank.

Assuming you're only changing about 20-30% of the water at a time you can do it anyway you want. Your fish will be fine. I turn off the heaters and the filter during water changes.

Heater only needs to be turned off if it is going to be exposed to air during the water change. If it is completely submersible (most Ebo's are) then you don't need to turn it off. I always turn it off, though, just out of habit, and just so that I don't forget if the heater happens to be closer to the surface.

I use a Python to do water changes so I add the dechlor as the tank is filling.

I just bought a python and I was wondering how you add the dechlor. when you are refilling up the tank. I just usually add the water into a bucket and add the dechlor and then I get am small 4 ft clear flizible tube and hold the bucket above the aquarium and let the water syphon in.

jaws561 said:
I just bought a python and I was wondering how you add the dechlor. when you are refilling up the tank. I just usually add the water into a bucket and add the dechlor and then I get am small 4 ft clear flizible tube and hold the bucket above the aquarium and let the water syphon in.

You can put it in while you are refilling the tank or right before you refill it. I find it hard to do while filling the tank, I can't do two things at once :lol:, plus I have to measure mine with a spoon so its kinda hard to do that and hold the hose.

I prop my hose with the gravel tube against the support bar in the center of the hood. I just add it as the water fills, and if I am adding it to the tank I add enough dechlor for the whole tank, but for my tiny tanks where I am using a jug I add only enough dechlor for the water that I am putting back in.

I have 5-gal water cooler jugs, and one day I started with a full tank and drained off 5gals at a time, marking the back corner of the tank with a sharpie at 5gal intervals, so when I use my python I know exactly how many gallons I have drained. I did that with all my tanks over 20 gals. That helps when measuring dechlor.

I add my dechlor to the tank at the same time I fill it with my python.
I also have my tanks marked as Tankgirl does.. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom