Water parameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessaathena0822

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi again!

I recently (about a month ago) set up a new tank that I would like to be a community tank with some neocaridina davidi, neon tetras, and otocinclus. My readings are as follows:

pH- 7.5
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 0ppm
TDS- 180 (I use RO water and dose with Mosura mineral plus ultra)

I used some older, established tank water as well.

It’s a 20g long, has two 25g sponge filters, some plants, and a finnex stingray light.

I also have this super weird algae, and I have diatom algae on the plants and floor.

Does this mean my tank is ready for fish? If not, what else can I do to get it ready? I’m planning on doing a water change tomorrow as well, unless that isn’t what I should do right now?

IMG_1521244633.488628.jpgIMG_1521244649.472896.jpgIMG_1521244662.104683.jpg

First there is very little if any beneficial bacteria in any tank water, it lives on the hardscape and in the filter. No your tank is not cycled as you have not added an ammonia source to feed the bacterial filter. You would be better off getting a scoop of gravel or some filter material from your established tank. Your tank will be cycled when you have:
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5<ppm
The algae looks like BBA or black beard algae it can be treated pretty easy with peroxide or excel

First there is very little if any beneficial bacteria in any tank water, it lives on the hardscape and in the filter. No your tank is not cycled as you have not added an ammonia source to feed the bacterial filter. You would be better off getting a scoop of gravel or some filter material from your established tank. Your tank will be cycled when you have:
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5<ppm
The algae looks like BBA or black beard algae it can be treated pretty easy with peroxide or excel

Thank you! Should I be adding a bunch of fish food?

Back
Top Bottom