Water parameters when upgrading tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NCoco87

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, first post here so go easy on me. :rolleyes:

Current tank:
- 42g Hex
- 5 zebra danios, 2 tiger barbs, 1 bala shark, 1 clown pleco

New tank:
- 58g rectangle

I recently acquired this new rectangle tank and I want to make sure I have all the parameters correct before adding new fish to this tank. Also generally, any tips for upgrading tanks would be grateful.

Ammonia in the hex is running rampant (it was at 6ppm before, I know) and now I brought it down to 4ppm. I know 4 is still dangerous and by changing tanks i'm hoping I won't have to worry about it for a while. My main reason why I think i'm getting a 4ppm reading according to API's master test kit, is due to my hex having an undergravel filter. I do the appropriate water changes every week and have introduced chemicals such as Foster and Smith's Stabilize in an effort to lower ammonia. I hasn't really dropped since 4 and since I have the new tank I figure i may as well just get the fish in the new tank when the new tank is ready. New tank reads 0ppm for ammonia.

pH is at 6 for the hex and 6.5 for the rectangle (i have a "pH increase" chemical that doesn't seem to work at all).

So my question is, is it safe to put these fish into the new tank that has 6.5 pH and 0ppm ammonia?...or do I have to try to put them into the new tank with similar parameters as the old tank.?

The new tank has been running for a few days now with a filthy cartridge that was previously in my hex.

Thanks.

Welcome to the site :). First of all, you HAVE to keep the ammonia and no2 below .25 at all times. Do 75% water changes, back to back to back changes...whatever you have to do to keep them below that value. UGF's definitely can cause some problems...but not that I can imagine to that extent.

Moving them to a new tank will cause you the same issues in time because it is an uncycled tank. Personally I would expend all my energy on improving the water parameters of the old tank, and in the mean time do a fishless cycle on the new to get it ready for your fish. Check out the link in my signature for info.

I would also not worry about pH and stop trying to adjust it. Almost all fish can adapt to pH levels, and every one of them will prefer stable pH over one that fluctuates by using additives.

Here's a guide to follow really closely while you consider your options-
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Hi thanks for the informative reply. The link was a good read too. In the new tank thats being cycled, my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all read 0ppm. I have a nasty gunk filled filter that i've put into the filtration system for almost a week now. Am I still behind an supposed to be waiting for that initial ammonia spike or am I somewhere else in the process?

NCoco87 said:
Hi thanks for the informative reply. The link was a good read too. In the new tank thats being cycled, my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all read 0ppm. I have a nasty gunk filled filter that i've put into the filtration system for almost a week now. Am I still behind an supposed to be waiting for that initial ammonia spike or am I somewhere else in the process?

We need to get you up to date on your fishless cycling technique. Adding a seeded media source without an ammonia source will do nothing. In fact, it will kill of the bacteria in the filter without food for it.

Read the article in my signature. It's all about fishless cycling. Check it over and if you still have questions don't be afraid to ask.

Ok so if I start with pure ammonia and go through with the rest of the process can I expect to see results within the next few days? The only reason I say this is because I'm swapping out my hex with the new tank with someone from craigslist and they are breathing down my neck now to get my hex tank for my part of the trade. I don't have a proper holding tank to put my fish into as of now. Are there any 'short cuts' i can take? I told them I would need two weeks to get a cycle going but they are getting antsy.

Ok so if I start with pure ammonia and go through with the rest of the process can I expect to see results within the next few days? The only reason I say this is because I'm swapping out my hex with the new tank with someone from craigslist and they are breathing down my neck now to get my hex tank for my part of the trade. I don't have a proper holding tank to put my fish into as of now. Are there any 'short cuts' i can take? I told them I would need two weeks to get a cycle going but they are getting antsy.

It will take more than a few days, especially if the filter you moved over has been without an ammonia source for a week...most likely it has very little remaining beneficial bacteria.

Everything in the existing tank (especially the filter media) has beneficial bacteria on it, and you want as much of it as possible in the new tank.

The items from the established tank will help, but you're going to have to do a fish-in cycle if you have no choice but to move them over soon. Follow the first guide I linked to you, and be prepared to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrIte below .25 at all times.

Back
Top Bottom